Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:41 am 

Hi, first post on this forum although have been a lurker in the past.

Situation:
I have been using my Nikon D3100 for a number of years with the kit lens (18-55mm) i finally have funds to start building up a lens collection (would like a general/lowlight setup before going into anything specific). I want to keep things high quality but not overly expensive.

Style:
I mainly do travel and landscape photography but want to get into more macro (currently been trying a reverse lens) in the future. I also want to be able to blow the background out more.

Problem:
I am planning on another trip soon and will most likely involve quite a large amount of indoor and poorly lit areas, i was originally going to get the Nikkor 35mm f1.8 but this lens has got my attention now. I have already decided i will be getting the 70-200mm f2.8 in the future but cant decide on what to have in the gap between the lenses. The main thing holding me back from buying this lens is i am not sure what i will be able to pair with it in the future; the sigma 24-70mm f2.8's seem good but i'm worried i would end up swapping lenses to often, i was also considering a 50mm f1.8 as a bridge.

What do you guys/girls suggest? are they good options or am i better getting another setup, if so do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any comments/advice, hope i can work out something soon :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:01 am 

Quote:
the sigma 24-70mm f2.8's seem good but i'm worried i would end up swapping lenses to often, i was also considering a 50mm f1.8 as a bridge.

Personally, I don't see the swapping issue with the 24-70mm zoom since your alternative is a 50mm (or 35mm) prime. I mean, if there was a longer constant f2.8 zoom, then sure. But it seems to me that you'd have to swap any prime lens at least as much as you would a zoom.

I do have a small concern that the 24-70mm isn't as wide as your current kit lens. So I'd just point out that Sigma also makes a 17-50mm f2.8 which more closely matches your kit lens, but which would also obviously leave a gap (in the future) between it and a 70-200mm.

Or, since you mentioned the 35mm f1.8, there's also Sigma's 18-35mm f1.8 which will give you a little more versatility on the wide end without sacrificing any speed/brightness, but is obviously much shorter than either of the f2.8 zooms.

Full disclosure: I own a Sigma 18-35mm - Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:32 pm 

Thank for the reply Maestro :)

I don't think i was very clear in my post (was late and i was tired) but i really want the 18-35mm f1.8 but i' trying to figure out what the options are to cover the range between 35mm and 70mm as i don't want to buy a lens knowing ill struggle to fill the zoom range between 35-70mm.
What lens would you recommend to cover this 35-70mm range?

Also if you don't mind me asking what situations do you normally take out your 18-35mm and what lens do you carry with it?

Many thanks
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:57 pm 

Tom, just a reminder in case you find any older/pre-owned reasonably priced lenses you fancy, make sure they are AF-S, for your D3100 (unless you're manually focussing of course)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:13 pm 

Thank Carlos, been avoiding them. Do regret getting a d3100 instead of a second hand older DSLR like the D90 after looking through because of the number of decent but older lenses available...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:06 am 

Ah, yes, now I see. Sorry, I misread your post earlier. My bad. So with my new understanding...

Tom14 wrote:

Seems to me it would depend on whether or not you need the additional 1 1/3 stop of the 50mm f1.8 enough to sacrifice the zoom capability of the 24-70mm f2.8 lens. In my case, I do need the speed, so I went with a 50mm prime (f1.4 actually, which has a slight additional benefit of being two full stops faster than the f2.8 zoom while also being a quarter of the price) and either crop in post if I want a "tighter" framing or just "zoom with my feet" since, in my case (see below), the difference (between 50mm and 70mm or 50mm and 35mm) is usually just a step or two.

Quote:
Also if you don't mind me asking what situations do you normally take out your 18-35mm and what lens do you carry with it?

When I'm shooting a band in a small and/or crowded bar, I'll take the 18-35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 lenses. So basically like you mentioned, "indoor and poorly lit areas" where I don't have a lot of freedom of movement while shooting moving subjects (with a relatively fast shutter).

Hope that helps more than my last reply - Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:09 pm 

Tom, it MIGHT be worthwhile selling/trading your D3100 to get maybe a D7000 if possible? (great price of around £480 atm with Nikon's cashback) You wouldn't be limited to AF-S lenses then & might be able to pick up some bargains. (just a thought, depending on your budget of course)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm 

Maestro wrote:
Ah, yes, now I see. Sorry, I misread your post earlier. My bad. So with my new understanding...

Tom14 wrote:

Seems to me it would depend on whether or not you need the additional 1 1/3 stop of the 50mm f1.8 enough to sacrifice the zoom capability of the 24-70mm f2.8 lens. In my case, I do need the speed, so I went with a 50mm prime (f1.4 actually, which has a slight additional benefit of being two full stops faster than the f2.8 zoom while also being a quarter of the price) and either crop in post if I want a "tighter" framing or just "zoom with my feet" since, in my case (see below), the difference (between 50mm and 70mm or 50mm and 35mm) is usually just a step or two.

Quote:

When I'm shooting a band in a small and/or crowded bar, I'll take the 18-35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 lenses. So basically like you mentioned, "indoor and poorly lit areas" where I don't have a lot of freedom of movement while shooting moving subjects (with a relatively fast shutter).

Hope that helps more than my last reply - Mark

Thanks Maestro, i think there basicly my two choices in terms of lenses to bridge the gap. Don't think ill be able to make the decision on what one will be best yet but its good to know there are options to cover the range.

There are no other obvious choices in that range that i could of missed is there?

oldCarlos wrote:
Tom, it MIGHT be worthwhile selling/trading your D3100 to get maybe a D7000 if possible? (great price of around £480 atm with Nikon's cashback) You wouldn't be limited to AF-S lenses then & might be able to pick up some bargains. (just a thought, depending on your budget of course)

It has crossed my mind many times! Are there any specific lenses (non af-s) that are particularly good that could tempt the change over?
Although think i have decided on waiting it out till i have my 18-35, whatever i chose for the middle range (maybe a 50 f1.8) then get the 70-200mm before upgrading. Will allow me to get a 11-16mm f2.8 tokina super wide angle. i feel that if i upgrade the body now by the time i have got the other lenses i would need to upgrade again! the bodies evolve so much faster than the lenses.

Thanks for all the help/advice guys its much appreciated :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:26 am 

Quote:
There are no other obvious choices in that range that i could of missed is there?

Not that I'm aware of. Well, nothing fast/bright, anyway. But I'm sure you know that there are other slower alternatives available.

Quote:
Will allow me to get a 11-16mm f2.8 tokina super wide angle.

FYI I also have a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and I'm very happy with it.

Mark