Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:24 pm 

I'm looking for a walkaround/travel lens for my Nikon D3200. I've seen several threads discussing the lenses I'm currently considering, but I was wondering if anyone who has the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Lens (Nikon Mount) has experienced the following issues: Ken Rockwell's review said, "The Tamron 17-50mm works fine, but only it you remember to let the VC system stabilize before shooting. This is not a lens for grab shots with the VC system." This worries me, because I will often be using the lens when hiking and want to be able to take "grab shots." Also, a reviewer on B&H's site said that the lens has an "annoying property where it required different autofocus adjustment settings for the extremes of the zoom range. Adjusting for 16mm meant 85mm was just out of focus, for example."

The other lenses I am considering are:

Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G (I'd have to buy a used or refurbished one)
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:35 pm 

Keep in mind that Ken Rockwell disdains Tamron products. His site is a valuable resource for Nikon lenses, but for information on Tamron, look elsewhere.

Having said that, the original non-VC Tamron 17-50mm developed a reputation as being quite good, and according to some, is better optically than the VC version. I do not own either version, but "did the homework" in 2010 or 2011, when full-frame cameras were still in my future. My wife had/has used Tamron 18-200mm and 28-75mm lenses at work, with good results, and mentored me with a Tamron on a Nikon body, so I was open-minded about third-party glass from the beginning of my SLR usage.

Of course, make sure any lens you buy will AF on your camera.

I have no experience with the other lenses you mentioned. I did buy a Nikon-refurbished Nikon 28-80mm lens, when I felt the need for a quickly-available cheap compact mid-range zoom. It arrived in excellent condition, indistinguishable from new. (Not that I would recommend the 28-80mm in your case, as 28mm is not very wide on your DX-sensor camera.)

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II