Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tokina 12-24mm Pro DX ii
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:02 am 
Does anyone know if the tokina 12-24 pro dx ii lens will auto focus with nikon D7000? I am considering in purchasing the lens. cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:37 am 
Hi sshadowss,

welcome to the forum!

Yes, indeed it will. In fact, this is Tokina's new version of this lens with a built-in AF motor, so it will even AF on a D40, D40x, D60, D5000, D3000 etc.

Since the D7000 already has an AF motor, you can consider the older model without AF motor if you want to save money..or even look at the Tokina 11-16 without AF motor if you want to go wider and have a larger max aperture (F2.8).

With wide angle lenses like these, the AF often ends at infinity anyway. For real fast shooting of moving objects, going hyper focal with manual focus is often better. And for landscapes/cityscapes you often have a lot more time.

Good luck with your choice!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:50 am 
Thanks for the welcome Lah!

I did consider the tokina 11-16, but the range was not as great as the tokina 12-24. Although having another 5 degrees of angle would capture a significant more amount of view. For reference, I want to use the UWA lens for landscape, buildings and even portraits for family.

The new tokina 12-24 was also additionally coated to reduce flare from the original 12-24, which is a big plus considering reading all the reviews about how tokina shows much flares.

I hope you can help me out on choosing the right one... I'm really having a hard time because none of the camera stores out here have tokina's in stock and I have to make the purchase based on reviews and others opinions.

Thanks!! Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:56 pm 
Hi sshadowss,

as I'm not much of a landscape shooter myself, I tend to look at these wide angle offerings as "party lenses"...i.e for indoor social settings and perhaps too for architecture, wedding etc. And, on occasion, even portrait lenses.

In that respect, the larger aperture was the one that closed the deal for me, and I got the 11-16. However, they didn't have the improved anti-flare coating back then. Today, I would probably go with the better coating. 1mm wider is half a step back...I can deal with that..lol.

There is also the price difference to consider...and all in all, the 12-24 is the one I would choose today, I think.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:04 pm 
Thanks again Lah!

I think I will be purchasing the 12-24 f4 because of the anti-flare coating as well as the cheaper price. Comparing the two, it is 100 USD difference in price.

Thank you for your insight and opinion!