Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Guidance on an Upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 pm 
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the forums, done a bit of lurking here and there but I come to you all for some guidance.

I have been doing photography as a hobby for about a year now, and while my collection of lenses isn't as fantastic as some, its certainly something I want to work on.

So, to my problem...

The other day I was trying to capture some kites that have started breeding in my local area, they were flying around just after the farmer had done our field so I got the camera with the 55-250 lense and tried to capture them, with limited sucess...

After doing my research its quite clear that 250mm isn't near enough to get decent shots of birds, Id need something beyond the 400mm range perhaps, however, the shots I did get showed me that my 55-250 IS is too slow and not high enough in quality for those specific shots, when they are on the move at 100+ meters.

This shot was taken at a distance of 10 meters, through a double glazed (and might I add, quite dirty) window.

As christmas is approaching I am thinking of upgrading to a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 USM lense, its quicker, quieter and epic in quality compared to my little canon. I wouldn't just be using it for the occasional wildlife photography, there would also be studio and weddings that it would get regular use for.

I know there are threads about this particular lense, but some haven't been looked at in a fair while so I thought Id post something new.

My additional question is, is it worth getting a canon 1.4x converter (and will that converter be compatible with the canon fit sigma lense), to boost the focal range a little bit, when I do want to try and catch the occasional Bird? or that swan that might just be a little too far away?

I have looked at alternatives, such as the Canon 100-400mm, the Sigma 50-500mm and Sigma 150-500mm telephotos, but the crucial thing for me is that fstop number, I have also seen a 70-200mm thread with sample pictures, (part of the reason I am looking at this lense).

Any response would be greatly appreciated.