Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 am 
Will the Sigma's upgraded Sigma Lens 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM give the Tamron AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC a run for its money?

I'm looking at getting one of these 17-55mm lens as I can't afford either the brand model (Canon/Nikon) versions as just way too expensive.

Anyone ordered or got one of these to give some feedback, haven't seen any reviews comparing the two?

Last edited by @idan on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:48 am 
Ive heard the Sigma is a very nice alternative to the brand models.

Dont really know about the Tamron sorry, Im sure its alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:12 am 
First of all, I have no experience with either. The Sigma is significantly more expensive and on paper, only gives you HSM to show for it. I haven't seen any reviews of the Sigma yet but so far the Tamron seems to have very good optics but the AF speed is slow and innacurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:19 am 
Forgot to mention in NZ they are basically the same price. One is $1040NZ and the other is like $20 more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:39 am 
Well if the Sigma is as sharp as the Tammy,then go for it. I for one,don't like the Tamron's feel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:22 am 
From what I have seen, it is as good as as brand models in terms of Image Quality/Sharpness. I tried it once at some photo fair, its build quality is solid, the zoom ring is somewhat stiff (maybe it is new). Also there is no Full Time Manual Focus, but it is not a big deal. I never tried the Canon's 17-55 and/or the Tamron 17-50 VC yet, so I cant say anything much.

Here are the reviews of this lens :

http://www.lenstip.com/256.1-Lens_revie ... S_HSM.html

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/531-sigma1750f28os

From the reviews, this seems to be a really nice bargain, although it the most expensive among thrid party lens. :)

PS - You get a hood and a pouch/case too!!! Too bad Canon isnt as generous as Sigma / Tamron :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:25 am 
Thanks for all the help and advice on this, I have now ordered the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS