Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:08 pm 
If you pixel peep :wink:

Or print bill boards

Of which I do neither

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:18 pm 
the point is that spending money for something of less quality(comparable to the competition) is only reserved for fanboys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:07 pm 
Gentlemen,

of course opinions will vary, just as priorities and evaluations of any lens' strengths and weaknesses do.

However, all these lenses are on the market and they appear to sell - so there isn't "one best choice" for all.

Sharpness is but one characteristic of a lens. Let's keep it at that?

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:11 am 

Thanks for the opinions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 am 

Ahem :?

Just a quick question - but why does landscape necessarily equal Ultra Wide Angle?

A lot of landscape work can be done with a normal zoom or even telezoom, surely?

FWIW, I would prefer to hand hold a panorama than use an Ultra Wide for some landscape shots, as you maintain a lot more detail. If there is no dominant foreground element in the shot then I wouldn't use an Ultra Wide necessarily...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:19 pm 

Yes, absolutely, sharpness counts, esp. in landscapes. But I doubt that you can see much of a difference at f/8.0 or f/11 between the different makers, if the lens is not decentered.
Small details may play a big role in landscape photography so much so that you wouldn't necessarily go for the shortest lens you can get: Simply because the magnification of that detail is too low with a 10mm lens to be captured/recognizable. There are limits in resolution for each lens, after all!
So, 18mm might be a fine focal length for your purpose.
And I know of people who are shooting landscapes with 200mm lenses on FX-bodies (equivalent 135mm on DX). "Taking it all in" is not necessary a safe road to the best landscape shots...

And handheld pano-shots can easily be stitched today.