Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:45 am 
Anybody own this lens?

How is the optical and build quality?

I came across this lens on amazon, while searching for a cheaper 3rd party alternative to nikkor glass. It seems like a reasonable price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:09 am 

i would recommend it,sharp quality lens price oso, great cant go pass this lens.Had with me all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:12 am 
@ka734

Thanks, I will get this lens after I save up my pennies.

I have two shoots this week so that should pay for half. :S haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:54 am 
Hi fallen,

In many way's it's a fantastic lens. Built like tank..very confidence inspiring. I own this lens and I'm quite happy with it...but it has one quality that is nagging me all to heck..it absolutely stinks when it comes to flares.

Compared to the Nikon 10.5 fisheye (yeah the Tokina is not a fisheye, but a rectilinear wide-angle) it is atrocious when it comes to flares. It doesn't create very nice sunstars either, whereas the Nikon 10.5mm has virtually zero flares and handle shots with the sun it, like nothing else I've ever seen.

I personally consider the Tokina an indoor/evening lens more than anything else. It's great for party shots, architecture etc. with it's comparatively sharp corners and apertures. But it doesn't do everything I hope it would and I find myself needing the Nikon 10.5mm often.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:11 am 
Seconded for lens flare. But other than that this lens rocks. I use it for low-light situations all the time, and I have gotten some of my best/fave shots (by my standards lol).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:39 am 
the atx116 is a great lens. one that does very well in weddings because of the wideness.

remember that weddings are about telling stories and sometimes an ultrawide is a great tool for telling stories.

fast af, tack sharp photos and can give you decent DOF if you know what you're doing.

this lens gets a two thumbs up from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:57 am 

I took a photo quite a while back in my old house back garden. Its not a brilliant shot and I took it to show a mate the difference between my 18 - 200mm lens @18mm and the Tokina @ 11mm

If you hover your mouse over the image it switches between the 2. I stood in the same position, swapped lenses and took the photo

http://www.yallop.me.uk/s/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:59 am 
Right this one is on my wish list. This lens be perfect for taking shots of houses etc for Real Estate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:11 am 

@Aidan Hill - Yes this lens is perfect as it has very little distortion and I can get both walls in the same picture from the corner of the room. I highly recommend this lens and its great value for money.

Out of interest, what camera will you be putting it on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:33 am 
Yet to purchase, but either the Nikon 3100 or 7000 I would imagine.

How old is this lens, is it due for a upgrade? Hate to get it and then a few months down the line, upgrade the model...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:12 am 
Loving this lens, just about to purchase one on ebay if the price is right! 6 months old with warranty left until 2013...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:57 am 

Does anybody know how much this lens is, or what I can pay for it used in mint condition?

I'm still a bit unsure on 3rd party lenses, but I might as well give them a fair shot. It would be nice to have a sharp wide angle zoom anyways.

Would this be considered the best wide angle zoom? Also, does the 5mm difference between the 11mm wide and the 16mm make a big difference, or would I be better with just a prime? Thanks!

-Evan

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:30 am 
Yea that, 5mm makes a significantly difference. What kind of prime are you thinking of as an alternative? I don't think there are any 10, 11 or 12mm primes that are not fisheye lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 am 
They are about $1200NZ over here, so around $900US but I actually think they are less in the US. Suppose to be one of the best ultra wide lens on the market! Nikon do the 12-24mm as an alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:33 am 

Quote:
Does anybody know how much this lens is, or what I can pay for it used in mint condition?

I'm still a bit unsure on 3rd party lenses, but I might as well give them a fair shot. It would be nice to have a sharp wide angle zoom anyways.

Would this be considered the best wide angle zoom? Also, does the 5mm difference between the 11mm wide and the 16mm make a big difference, or would I be better with just a prime? Thanks!

-Evan

The lens in the UK is a bit below £500.

I am the same as you Evan, I prefer proper manufacturer lenses rather than 3rd party, but it was the reviews I read up on the Nikon competitor lens that made me go with the Tokina. It got rave reviews and I have to be honest I have not been disappointed with it, so don’t be put off by the fact it is 3rd party at all.

If it helps, have a look at these reviews:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

And

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1224.htm