Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sigma 15-30mm
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:09 am 
I am going to be with a D200 and a 50mm f/1.8 which doesn't leave with a wide angle. I love wide angle so 50mm won't due.

It is between the Sigma 17-35mm and the Sigma 15-30mm. Both I can get for about $250(about all I can spend but I have some issues with the 15-30mm and how easy it is to harm the glass. I would prefer and go with the 15-30mm if I could find some kind of lens protection for it, but I can't. I just need a wide angle walk around lens to compliment my 50mm.

Sorry if this sounds like another rambling post by me but my deadline is coming up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:00 am 
Hey Nathan,

I've been reading up on the Sigma 15-30mm, it seems a good lense. As to the protection. I would think your on about a UV filter for the front element?.

'Some Sigma dealers advertise the lens as taking 82mm filters. This is misleading. The lens cap consists of two pieces, a ring and a cap to the ring. The front of the ring has 82mm threads, and if you're using a digital SLR and aren't zoomed out to 15mm, you can leave the ring on the lens and screw a filter into it. But vignetting occurs even on the D1 at the widest focal lengths, and at virtually all focal lengths on a 35mm body if you put a filter on the front. (There is also a small "slot" at the rear that can be used to slip in thin gelatin filters cut to size.)' This it taken from Thom Hogans reviews.

It would seem that to protect the glass without resulting in much vignetting you would have to acquire the both pieces (which i have not come accross yet).

I shall keep looking :P

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:36 pm 
I was going to order off ebay and you can buy it with a 82mm thread so I won't have to search for one. I could get the lens factory sealed and brand new with a 1 yr. warranty from cameta camera for about $250.
I guess I would just screw that on to the lens cap thing and it would be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:12 pm 

You've certainly seen the review here.
Nice lens also for a later FX-body :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:58 pm 
Yeah, I always read up on lenses on photozone. Thanks though.

Since I have a Nikon N6006 I could use it on there aswell.