Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:15 pm 

I can not afford to buy myself a Macro lens at the moment, as much as I would like to blow £600 on a new lens my wife would not be amused!

So I was thinking of compramising and buying myself a RAYNOX MACRO LENS DCR-5320PRO.

Here is a link to the product - http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/product.asp?pt_id=932&p_id=4989&c=RAYNOX_MACRO_LENS_DCR-5320PRO

I am going to fit it to my 18 - 200mm Nikon lens as that is a 72mm thread and this gives you the 3 diopter option.

Has anyone used these adapters before and are they worth it? Or am I better off waiting until I can afford a proper lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:37 pm 
Take the following from somebody who has over the years spent a lot of time and money on photography:

You get what you pay for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:03 am 
Hi AL

May I suggest a cheaper alternative...try the RAYNOX DCR-150 and/or DCR-250. Both allows good quality macro on any lens from...52-66mm (if memory serves).

They are about 45$ each and perform as well as the lens they are attached to and the photographer behind it all.

I have no bad things to say about them...easy to operate, easy to transport, on an inexpensive 50mm prime the IQ is just fine.

Put DCR-250 on a 200mm lens and you got yourself crazy magnification..

I have both and they are excellent for the modest macro I ever do...good luck with your choice!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:13 am 

Thanks jeremy1302 and I would agree, you do get what you pay for, hence my concern and posting this question before I spend. On Flickr there seem to be some excellent photos where people have used these adapters.

Thanks LahLahSr for your feedback, really useful and good to hear.

Yes I agree, I wanted the 150 or 250 as it looked briliant and good value, the only problem is my 18 - 200mm is a 72mm thread so they will not fit on my lens. So after digging around I found the DCR-5320PRO which was designed to fit on a 72mm thread. I used to have the Nikon 18 - 70mm lens which was a smaller thread and I wish I had not sold it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:48 am 
Quote:
On Flickr there seem to be some excellent photos where people have used these adapters.

Ive seen excellent photos from phone cameras. Your gear doesnt matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:43 am 

Sorry jeremy1302, are you pro or against the idea of these adapters? Your first comment suggests that you get what you pay for, i.e. these are the cheaper option so wont be very good. Then you say your gear does not matter, which suggests I will get good results from essentially a budget option?

I need some advice as to if it is going to be a waste of money.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:16 am 
Im for it if its all your budget allows or you dont want to take macro too seriously.

But Im against it if you plan to print monster sized macro works and shoot all day with is.