Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:49 pm 
I want to be a wildlife animal photographer, would the Sigma SD14 be good with that. After i am planning to buy that i was going to save up for the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens. (http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/revi ... -lens.html). Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 pm 
I think you've got a bit confused here, you can't use Canon EF mount lenses on a Sigma camera mount, so if you want to buy the SD-14, you're limited to Sigma's range of lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:04 am 
whats a good camera to usefor wildlife animal photos so i am able to use that lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 am 

Firedragon,

Head on over to the wildlife/pet thread and have a look at some of the pics there.
There are a few of us posting pics there and we all have our cameras and lenses posted in our signatures under our posts.
Myself I use a Pentax k200D with a few Sigma lenses,the 70-300 included and I am quite happy with my setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:20 pm 
ok i will thanks, by the way how do i delete this topic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:40 pm 

Why would you delete it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:02 pm 
hey i think i found a camera, its the Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP ,Digital SLR, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Cam ... cp_e_1_map

attached with a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens

http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/revi ... -lens.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 pm 
podgeorge wrote:
I think you've got a bit confused here, you can't use Canon EF mount lenses on a Sigma camera mount, so if you want to buy the SD-14, you're limited to Sigma's range of lenses.

Nonsense...I own umpteen prime lenses ranging from 14mm right up to 1100mm focal length and only one of them is a Sigma lens.
I use Canon FL, Canon FD, Nikon, Carl Zeiss, Carl Zeiss Jena, Tokina, Tamron, Vivitar, Minolta MD, MTO, and several others.
Sigma dont make lenses as good as mine or as fast as mine and Sigma lenses cost a lot more too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:09 pm 
firedragon958 wrote:
whats a good camera to usefor wildlife animal photos so i am able to use that lens?

You can get the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens converted to SA mount quite easily and all functions will work except the IS function...But to be honest why bother when something like the manual focus Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 LD IF will give you sharper images, is considerably faster and will cost you a lot less, leaving more money in your pocket to buy some other nice lenses. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:17 pm 
You dont necessarily need a lens longer than 200mm to get good wildlife shots with the SD14...I find my M42 mount Sigmatel Multi Scalematic 135mm f1.8 does a good job with wildlife.

These two show it without a lenshood:

This one shows it with the Sonia brand 77mm lenshood, thats stays on it all the time.

Some samples at f4 and f5.6 (where its at its best) with 100% crops:

And the bokeh is pretty nice too:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:29 am 
What is the best digital camera for wildlife photography? I am a wildlife conservation major and I am going to have to take a lot of photos for my research. I might need a larger zoom to get closer detail of the ecosystem or the animal. Some of them can be very illusive!!! I also live in the United States so if the price were to be in that currency it would be a big help. I am willing to pay up to about $800.00.

Last edited by klejandara on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 am 

I'd suggest making a new topic, it will be seen a lot more :)
Welcome to the forums anyhow ;)