Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:14 am 
All I hear is good this about these lens. I want a good wide angle lens and from what I have heard the build quality and image quality is superb for the price.

I have no experience with Tokina?

Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:02 am 
Hi MNstorm,

it's always a good idea to head down to the nearest equipment shop and handle it. Even shoot a few test shots with your camera to give you an idea.

You will appreciate the confidence-inspiring build of either of these two Tokinas. I have the 11-16mm and it's F2.8 constant aperture is supreme for "party pics". Indoors, low light, cramped quarters. Sitting around a table with friends in a cafe, restaurant and suchlike..it great for just that.

of course, landscape enthusiasts also appreciate these lenses for their wide angles. The 11-16 goes down to F22 if you re so inclined (beware diffraction though).

Corner sharpness is better on the 11-16 than the equivalent Sigma 10-20mm, which is also a very popular choice. Build quality far exceeds the Sigma.

They both have a clutch to switch between manual and AF.

Quite heavy with a 77mm filter size diameter.

I little prone to lens-flare at some angles, in sunlight - so keep that hood on.

Yuo can't go wrong with either of these Tokinas and they are fairly budget-friendly as far as wide-angles go.

Good luck!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 am 

Having never held the Tokina, I'm not an authority ont his, but my sigma 10-20 is built like a tank. Im pretty sure I can drop that thing and nothing will happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:54 pm 
I am leaning towards the tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I would love to own a lens that has f/2.8 throughout. I also did some more research and the 11-16mm is suppose to be slightly sharper.

Is tokina a good brand overall (build quality, optical quality)? I would like to stick to canon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:41 pm 
MNstorm wrote:
I would like to stick to canon.

Take a look at the Photozone review of Canon 10 22 USM VsTokina 11 16 f/2.8

The advantages of Tokina 11 16 is that less pricier than the Canon counterpart & advantage of constant f/2.8 wide aperture. I do agree what LahLahSr says.

Just one word of warning that the lens cap of Tokina isn't that really good as it should & many report that it is easily break often loose apart whilst on the move. Solution, just buy the Canon Original lens cap 77mm obviously.

Anyway Good luck with your decision 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:13 pm 
Hi MNstorm,

Like the other alternatives to Canon, Nikon, Leica, Zeiss etc...these third-party lens-manufacturers can produce spectacular lenses.

The challenge with them is that their quality assurance is less predictable - so (statistically) you have to send them back more often than, say Nikons, because of some front-or back-focus or other.

Also, when looking at their model line-up, you find a less consistent overall quality. In other words, they produce less consistently good lenses so in their line-up you will find some true dogs and some pearls and a lot there are just "so-so". It's therefore advisable to always read up on the specific lenses and wait for some reviews to come out.

All that being said, they all have some very very viable and budget-friendly offers that sometime outperform similar lenses from the big camera manufacturers - but some research is required to identify them

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:47 am 

Hi Mnstorm,

i chose the Tokina 11-16 mm over the 12-24mm because i wanted to have the widest angle i could get.
Also i knew that i would use it like a prime (donĀ“t need zoom anyway), so 99% of my shots are taken at 11 mm FL.
In addition the 11-16 mm is known to have superior image quality compared to the 12-24 mm.
I didn`t consider Canons 10-22 mm anyway.
My decision was mostly based on the Photozone review.

greetings

PS: If you should consider buying the 11-16 mm, be aware that it might take a longer time to ship then other lenses. Mine took 4 weeks.