Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sigma announce the SD15
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:53 am 

Hi folks,

From this Sigma page:
    Sigma Introduces the SD15. A 14 Mega Pixel (2,652 x 1,768 x 3 layers) Digital SLR Camera.

Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the new Sigma SD15 digital SLR camera.

The newest edition to the SD series of SLR cameras is powered by the 14 mega pixel Foveon X3 direct-image sensor making it possible to capture all primary RGB colors at each and every pixel location and is arranged in three layers. The developing SD15 incorporates the “True II” new image processing engine. It provides high resolution power and reproduces high definition images, rich in gradation and impressive three-dimensional detail. Incorporation of the large 3.0 inch LCD monitor and improved processing speed provide ease of operation.

Development of the SD15
    Since October 2002, Sigma has introduced three digital SLR cameras, the SD9, SD10 and SD14. In March, 2008, Sigma also introduced a high end compact digital camera, the DP1 which uses the same large image sensor as is featured in Sigma’s digital SLR cameras. They have established a strong following from a wide range of photographers, both amateur and professional. Photographers expressed a desire to incorporate the image processing engine “TRUE”, which is used in the DP1, into a digital SLR camera. In order to meet this demand, the SD15, with the high resolution direct image sensor, has been designed around the new “TRUE II” image processing engine. This combination delivers superior image quality as well as improved processing speed, operation and performance.

The B&H SD15 page (one of our partner stores) is a little more forthcoming with an extensive listing of both features and specifications. It's not clear to me that the sensor is anything other than the same one that features in the SD14 (and DP1 and DP2) which, if true, is disappointing, to say the least, as one might have hoped for the technology to have advanced a little since those cameras were launched.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:43 am 

The main advantage of the foveon would be no need for bayer interpolation, but, as their sensor is only 4 megapixels (each layer), they still interpolate......meh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:41 pm 
"Well it's about time!" is my first reaction. When was it they first announced it for 2009? November 2008?

I've been waiting for some real reviews and a lot of sample images.

There was a time when I seriously considered switching from Nikon to Sigma's SD-14, but felt that the fuzzy WB and JPG-performance, coupled with overall slowness, would tax my patience.

As most of my "serious" photography is portraiture and still life, an upgraded SD14 could be the answer. But, as always, it remains to be seen if the marketing hype is the usual exaggeration of reality.

Still..when looking at good sample shots taken with the FOVEON sensor, I can't help but being in the grip of the same enthusiasm that FOVEON-disciples are so boisterous about..lol.

Now it'll be another 3-4 months I'm sure, before it hits the market in any numbers..lol

Cheers :-)