Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Fisheye Lenses
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:04 pm 
Sigma just launched new two new fisheyes:

Sigma 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye lens
and the
10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM fisheye lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:13 pm 
4.5mm!

That is crazy, can't wait to see how the work and how the look.

I was still looking at the 15mm Fisheye for like $250 so I am definetely gonna check out the 10mm because I am sure the 4.5mm will be far out of range. I wouldn't use it all that much so that is why I would go for the cheaper 15mm just for the effect when I did want to play around with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:26 pm 
Yea...the 4.5mm is a circular fisheye though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:18 pm 
Yeah I read that, if it wasn't it would definetely worth whatever it going to cost IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:26 am 

Greetings!
I saw the announcement somewhere else and being just a keen snap shooter, I was wondering what do you guys would use fish eye lens for? I know about scientific applications of such a lens but what else can you do with it? Landscapes, perhaps? Not that I am considering buying it, I am just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Fisheyes are great fun, but I personally find the novelty wears off real-soon. I prefer ultra wides as at least they can look natural - but that's the point of a fish-eye - it doesn't look natural.

Since Canon uses a 1.6x field reduction to almost everyone elses 1.5x though, I wonder if the circle will be slightly cropepd on Canon bodies or if Nikon et al will have a bit more space around their circle...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:03 pm 
I agree with Gordon, too much cash for something that wears off too soon. Buying a ultra-wide over a fisheye is a much wiser invest meant on your $500+.

I have a friend over in the UK who bought the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye but sold it about a month later because after awhile the pictures become dull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:35 pm 

Some of the 10.5mm fisheye-shots that I love:

Sparrows at Lake Taupo

Exoctic

Cathedral Cove

Through the Looking Glass

You can see that it's not always "crazy curves" that distinguishes a fisheye-shot from a very-very-wide-angle lens. But you have to keep in mind that you need to look very close to those shots to get the max feeling of being drawn in. So surf over to the originals (each pic is linked) and go to "all sizes" and then at least the "large" format!

Have fun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:44 pm 

Hi folks,

Thanks to Rob Galbraith's sitefor the news that the 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC Circular Fisheye HSM is, according to this Sigma press release, to be released in Japan on January 19th (see here for a translated version). Apparently the street price is expected to be around US$900 and the lens, which is for for APS-C size digital SLR cameras with Sigma, Nikon and Canon mounts, will be available in the U.S. in February.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.