Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tamron 28-300mm with VC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:33 am 
The doctor told me I could catch VC by exchanging unprotected lenses with... No, no, no, not that, it's Vibration Compensation. Tamron has added vibration compensation (IS) to it's 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 lens. The lens is available for both Nikon and Canon. See: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/28300_vc.asp It's sold at Amazon for about $600. It could be an alternative to the Nikkor 18-200mm VR or the 70-300mm VR.

Sorry, I don't know anything more about it -- perhaps someone else can offer more info.

Gordon, have you thought about a Lens section or an Alternative Lens section for Sigma, Tamron, etc., because this post would be relavent to Canon owners as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:38 am 
Good find, I was wondering when Tamron would launch their own stabilised super zooms. I did think Tamron would add VC to their 18-200 or 18-250 firsst so they would be able to compete with Sigma and Nikon. Is this the first VC lens? I've never heard of any prior to this.

I think all Tamron lenses go under the Tamron section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:44 am 

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the heads up. It seems that at around US $600 it is almost 1/5th of the price of the equivalent Canon EF 28-300mm f3.5-5.6L IS USM. :shock:

I think Graham is right that this should be in the Tamron section so I have moved it there and left a "shadow" in the Nikon forum.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:47 am 
Well I'm embarrassed -- looked right past the Tamron and Sigma sections. I'll repost this there. :oops:

I don't know if this is Tamron's first VC. I didn't see anything else right off in their sight. I picked up the lead from another forum.

--- thans for the move Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:51 am 

BrianS wrote:
--- thanks for the move Bob

Ha :!: Beat you to it. :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:31 pm 
had anyone tried this lenses ? i'm looking to buy one for D80 or Canon30D, or 400D.
28-300 VC is a good choice ? the quality compares to 18-70 Nikkor ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:15 am 
Kenwood wrote:
had anyone tried this lenses ? i'm looking to buy one for D80 or Canon30D, or 400D.
28-300 VC is a good choice ? the quality compares to 18-70 Nikkor ?

... you do realise that on a crop factor of 1.6 the widest is 45mm, which may then be tough to fit the whole family inside without knocking on the neighbor's door... :?

Since this lens is intended for cropped sensor sizes, I always wondered just what were they thinking starting their zoom at 45mm trying to look like an all-purpose... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:35 am 
Cheezbrgr wrote:
Since this lens is intended for cropped sensor sizes, I always wondered just what were they thinking starting their zoom at 45mm trying to look like an all-purpose... :?:

Indeed, it's an interesting one! :? However, I guess the Canon/Sigma 10-22/10-20mm etc... are viable partnerships with this lens if someone was willing to change lenses more frequently. I do agree though, a 45mm equivalent makes it less useful on a cropped sensor.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:20 am 
Looked into this - its a full frame lens - that's what they were thinking :lol:

Still leaves us APC-S sensor cameras (anything below 2,000$ body only), with 45mm as widest.
This lens is not for us (unless you like having a hole in your most used range 30-45mm, changing lenses like crazy, and agree to shoot 45mm widest with this lens in the first place). :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:01 pm 
Ahh and the penny drops!!! :P

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:24 am 

Hi all! :D Did you see my post on the simple shoot with this 28-300 VC and the Tamron 18-200? http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5637
I handled this lens last Saturday (5-11-08) and was most impressed by it's clarity at 5 foot shoot. It also did excellent at a 1/25" hand held shot with no flash, inside the store.
Perhaps I should have bought is as I called up there this morning after they opened up and they sold their only 2 in stock. Figures! :roll:

I've shot a 28-200 for several years. Until recently I never began looking at really wide angle lenses. If you have a Nikon you could get the 18-55 Nikon lens for those times you would want to shoot a bit wider than the 28mm.

I looked at most of my photos over the past years, looking at Exif data. I found that I rarely shot below 40mm on my 28-200 Tamron lens.

Here is why this might be such a great lens. Fujinon view lenses were astounding for their very large image circle. Pricey as well! The larger the image circle, the more of the "sweet spot" of the lens is used for the actual image when you use a smaller image size. My 4 X 5 Graphic View II takes phenomenal pictures and even more impressive with a roll film back on there. Now the center of the lens in in an area of 6cm X 7cm instead of 4" x 5".

"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
(Jn 8:23)

"I started out in life with nothing....and I've managed to keep most of it!"

Post subject: camera tabs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:05 am 
The content seems the new original camera's are working on.The Canon is also one of the best camera's which is always best of there finishing.
Malshi

Wide Circles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:37 pm 

Hello Malshi, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
But quite frankly, I didn't get the gist of your message :?:

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:09 am 
I am very interested.Because this is Very great forum.
malshi
Social Media Markting

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:43 pm 
Hello,

I've been trying to dig up more information about this lens. I was impressed enough to buy it based on the reviews I've read--for $600 price tag and the 28-300mm range, I thought it looked good as an affordable alternative to what Nikon offers. Others I've spoken with thought it could work pretty well with my Nikon D50. I'm fairly new to dslr, but it didn't take long to see I needed something more than 'kit' lenses.

Supposedly it has glass that is comparable to the Canon 'L'. My initial use of it during this past month has given me some nice (even sharp) shots at full zoom. I think I could really like the lens, but the battery issue bothers me. I was also wondering if it's because it doesn't have the SWM (silent wave motor) feature that Nikon has with its lenses? (The Tamron is noticeably noisier when focusing--sounds like a grinding, and it is slow, but I could overlook that if it produces good results.

I posted a question earlier today regarding the way this lens seems to effect my battery, but it ended up in the Nikon section. It could be my imagination, but the battery does seem to be draining faster, requiring more charges. Just a bit suspicious of this.

If anyone has any advice or knowledge regarding this lens, or might suggest a comparable option, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much, Coral