Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sigma announce the DP1s
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:20 pm 

Hi folks,

If you thought that the recent announcement of the Sigma DP2 spelt the end of the DP1 you were only partially correct. From this press release:
    Sigma announces the launch of a 14 megapixel high definition digital camera, packing the full spec of a DSLR into the body of a compact camera.
    SIGMA DP1s

The Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the new Sigma DP1s compact digital camera featuring a 14 megapixel FOVEON X3® direct image sensor (2,652× 1,768× 3 layers). The new Sigma DP1s is an improved version of the DP1 which was introduced to market in March 2008.

It is now possible to allocate the QS (Quick Set) function, which has been adopted by the DP2 and SD14 DSLR, to the digital zoom buttons of the DP1s. This provides faster and more convenient operation of the camera. The DP1s is enhanced further by improved performance when shooting backlit subjects, aiding the cameras characteristics of superb resolution and richly graduated tones with a natural, three-dimensional feel.
    There are many dedicated accessories available for the DP1s such as the VIEW FINDER VF-11, HOOD ADAPTER HA-11 and ELECTRONIC FLASH EF-140 DG.

For reference, the DP1 (and by implication the DP1s) has a lens focal length of 28mm while the DP2 has a lens focal length of 41mm (both numbers are the full-frame 35mm equivalent field of view).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:28 am 
It is just the same old stuff with minor tweak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:42 pm 
Enche Zein wrote:
It is just the same old stuff with minor tweak.

+1 Agree! there is nothing much about it just the same old DP1 =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:37 pm 

Isn't the point that between them the DP1s and the DP2 give the potential purchaser a choice of focal lengths? :?

The DPx line may lack interchangeable lenses, as with the Olympus EP-1 or the Panasonic GF1, but add any lens to either of those cameras and you have something both bigger and heavier.

They may not be for everyone, and Gordon pointed out both strengths and weaknesses in his original DP1 review, but it's good to see that Sigma continues to offer choices unavailable from other manufacturers.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:36 pm 

DP3 pls kthxbai

That will be all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:29 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Isn't the point that between them the DP1s and the DP2 give the potential purchaser a choice of focal lengths? :?

The DPx line may lack interchangeable lenses, as with the Olympus EP-1 or the Panasonic GF1, but add any lens to either of those cameras and you have something both bigger and heavier.

They may not be for everyone, and Gordon pointed out both strengths and weaknesses in his original DP1 review, but it's good to see that Sigma continues to offer choices unavailable from other manufacturers.

Bob.

yes, no complain about the availability. But i read a lot of reviews complains about its operation speed and functionality. Seems like Dp1s does not fix those problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:00 am 
I wonder why Sigma doesn't just make this an interchangeable lens camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:59 am 
grahamnp wrote:
I wonder why Sigma doesn't just make this an interchangeable lens camera.

'cos they're quirky and stuff.

Post subject: Marketing...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:37 am 

I wonder if it's because Sigma wants to push out some old product shells and updated the intestines... hmm...

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!