Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:45 pm 

jimlad74 wrote:
All I want to know is if the Tamron is worth buying?

Because if the Tamron 17-50 can acheive the same image quality as the Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 at half the price, why not?

also,better than the 17-40mm F4 at 17mm. in my book,that Tamron is the only choice for best super wide angle results on a Canon full frame. (the price is really good as well)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:15 pm 

The Tamron doesn't work on FF cameras, it's an APS-C lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:17 pm 

pgtips wrote:
:( really? I've heard many times the new Tamron,with VC,is made for FF cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:09 am 

I don't know about others, but I have ruffly categorised zoom lenses wich can be used in FF bodys. Usually these kind of lenses starts from 24mm. or perhaps 28mm. And their tele end is 70 to 75mm.

And cropframed lenses starts from 17 or 18mm. and some of them stop at 50 or 55mm. (I know some of them stop at 70mm. aswell)

When you add the crop factor to 17mm. becomes 25,5 and 18 becomes 27mm. and in the tele end 50mm. x 1,5 is 75mm.

This isn't arule that you could use for any lenss you see but at least I can queston the information if someone tells me that 17-50mm. zoom is for FF bodys.

And thuss FF lenses aren't very suitable for my needs, cose I use cropframed camera. 24mm. in the wide end is not very wide when you add the crop factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:27 pm 

Anyone else has got this lens? Mine just arrive today, I only managed to test it a few times, so far I noticed the AF is a bit slower than my Nikon lens especially in dim lights but I m not too bothered about it. BTW this is only my second lens ,I m still a newbie and I m really happy for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:55 pm 

Razvan wrote:
pgtips wrote:
:( really? I've heard many times the new Tamron,with VC,is made for FF cameras.

See http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/1750_vc_b005.asp

It's a Di-II lens which stands for Digital Imager 2, which is Tamron's way of saying APS-C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:18 pm 

Yep, Philip is right: definitely not for FF/FX-bodies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:09 pm 

Here in Malaysia, There are many who feedback that this lens have focusing issues. Where image capture sharp behind the main subject. So far my lens are ok. But I wonder if any one have this issues on this lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:09 pm 

Hello BiLLyLim, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
Front- or back-focus can happen with the most reputable manufacturers: my brand new Nikon 70-200 VR II needed +6..+8 micro-focus adjustment in camera to be perfectly sharp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:02 pm 

Thanks Thomas for the advice, I'll like to learn how the micro-focus adjustment in camera being done on D90. If the camera do not have this option, what should the user do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:15 pm 

No the D90 does not support micro-focus adjustments.
Only way is to give the lens back.

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:28 pm 

Ok.. How we can know by how much off set will the seller take back and exchange with new unit.

Hope that in future any camera review would put this as one of the important comparison spec to consider. I read the D300 and Canon 50D,7D have this option, if I have learn this earlier I would go for those camera with this option.

Thank you so much for the info :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:37 pm 

First some advice for quoting in posts:
I've deleted the quote in your last 2 posts. It was referring to my post directly preceding your post and did not focus on any specific points that I made. In such a case quoting is not recommended as it only bloats your posts and makes the thread less readable for other visitors.
If you refer to specific points or refer further back in the thread, quoting is an appropriate tool for reference.
So please, use it wisely.
---
As to your question: The front-/backfocus problem is a very tough nut with regard to arguing. I once heard from a Tamron rep that this was not his problem but the problem of my camera :shock: :x :evil:
So the best is to buy at a shop where you can give the lens back with no questions asked. If it is a good shop you should discuss your problem with them to find out whether they would give you a second sample to try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:29 am 

Citruspers wrote:
Forget the stabilisation, the real amazing thing about this lens is that it's High Definition!

Seriously, is anyone buying the recent "high definition" hype?

hm your sarcasm is obvious i guess?! ;)
i don't get the whole high definition thing anyway.. think i've overslept that or just had other issues to get done ..
which components are provided to make hdr photos possible or what do i need to take those sort of photographs?
not that i'm interested in that whole 'unreal photos matter' but just because of being curious..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:35 am 

Regarding Tamron glass quality, I think it is quite good. My wife, who is a much more accomplished photographer than I, uses a Tamron 18-200mm DI II on the Nikon D300s she uses at work. While this is the taxpayer's camera/lens, not hers, she is pleased with both, and the pathologists who view her images of death scenes are happy with the images.

She mostly focuses manually, so does not mind the slow autofocus.

This prompted me to purchase a pre-owned 18-200mm Di II for my personal Canon DSLRs I use to photograph crime scenes. (The taxpayers only provide me with a tiny Sony point-and-shoot; I am a patrol print/photo officer who mostly photographs living assault victims, whereas the CSU types are issued Canon 50D cameras.) Yes, it does take its sweet time autofocusing sometimes, primarily in low light, at which times I use a flashlight (torch) to help it focus. I actually tend to use prime macro lenses at work, but am sufficiently pleased with the 18-200mm that I am considering a 17-50mm Di II with VC, which is why I am reading this topic. The equivalent Canon lens is just too expensive to justify, if the Tamron product will perform well enough.