Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:15 pm 

Just a suggestion for another review (like you haven't got enough work to do Gordon ;))
I know that one of the lenses looked at by many many animal enthousiasts as a relatively cheap alternative is the Sigma 150-500. Unfortunately it's very hard to find a reliable review of this lens, as they seem to contradict each other quite often.
I for one would really like to find out whether this lens performs the way we all want it to, because it costs about 2/3 of the canon 100-400 and gives a nice little extra reach. This one might have to be tested on different bodies which could make it hard, but I'm sure a lot of people are wondering whether to get this one or not.

Regards,

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:58 am 

Here you go: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... f56++++hsm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:41 am 

Ooh great, thanks!

So much for my websearch skills...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:57 pm 

We have a dedicated search button on the forum :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:03 pm 

I tried one the other day in the store. It was small store in the mall where I buy all my equipment because I have 10% discount. I was buying Pentax 16-45mm F/4 and I was talking to the guy about my next lens and then he showed me that one that he ordered for somebody. He said that it took him a long time to make him buy 150-500mm instead 50-500mm. So I took couple of shots in the mall, and to be honest with you in that low light it took me faster to focus manually than using autofocus. If something was in close focus range it was not that bad but I tried to go from minimum to infinity and it would take a while for camera motor to turn the lens over the whole focus range. About IQ pictures were pretty sharp with me hand holding it. Now this one was made for Pentax and I used it on my Pentax K20D. Unfortunately because those pictures I took didn't have any significant value to me I deleted them as soon as I saw them on my computer. If I was looking in this section yesterday and saw your post i would host them somewhere and give you the link so you can see them.

I don't know which system you are using but I found pretty decent review that you might want to check out

http://www.stockholmviews.com/sigma_150-500_os/sigmapage1.html

Just click next on the bottom of each page to go to the next one.

Prints