Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 10-20mm shadow problem?
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:21 am 
hey everyone...well i'm loving my new 10-20mm lens..but i've noticed that when i use my Xsi built in flash in low-light situations, or at night shots, there is a shadow in the bottom of the picture? I don't think its a lens problem...but is it just because the this Sigma lens is a beast and is so huge, that it blocks the built in flash when it fires, causing a shadow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:10 am 

I think it might be a combination of obstruction, and maybe even the Sigma is such a wide angle the flash was never designed to light that wide. Remove the hood if you haven't done so already.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:51 pm 
Hi Avlis,

I do not think it's an issue with the lens either.

I have the "sister lens" from Tokina (the 11-16mm) on my D40 and the same thing happens. The lens has such a wide field of view that it can see it's own shadow.

A typical external flash in your hotshoe will probably be high enough to change the angle of the light so that this shadow will no longer appear even at 10mm.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:40 pm 
thx, popo and Lahlah...

well at least i know its just an obstruction problem and not a lens problem...so i guess i just g2 figure out the lens more so i don't keep getting the Sigma shadow... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:13 pm 
It can be easily solved by avoidance of the pop-up and using an external flashgun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:45 pm 
I think the issue is that your 10mm wide angle is too wide for your lens. Like Photoj says, either avoid using your flash or get an external flash gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:23 pm 
pgtips wrote:
I think the issue is that your 10mm wide angle is too wide for your lens.

Eh? Did you mean too wide for the pop-up? Surely a lens can't be too wide for its own good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:31 am 
Duh! Too wide for the popup flash. I need to stop posting when I'm too tired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:59 am 
It's a problem with most wide-angles and even some kit lenses at their widest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:36 pm 

This result is normal with the pop-up flash at 10mm:

The other trick to avoid it (when shooting outside): turn the camera upside down so the shadow is projected into the sky :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:31 am 
Thomas wrote:
The other trick to avoid it (when shooting outside): turn the camera upside down so the shadow is projected into the sky :shock:

Genius!