Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:46 am 
I would like to buy a wide-angle lens for my Nikon D80, since the 18mm of my 18-70dx are not enough. I have looked around but i am not very expert, so I ask if anybody here could help me.
What are the main differences between a Tokina 10-17 and a Sigma 10-20 ? What are the max angles I can get from them at their max focal of 10mm ? Is there a better solution at the same price range ?
Thank you !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:22 am 

Hi skelter! Nice question at just the right time. I did a big super-wide-angle zoom shoot-out this summer here. Not all details have been filled in, but you can get the gist of the results already and have a look at the respective test-shots I made.
The Tokina 10-17 is not in that comparison as it is a fisheye-zoom giving all curved lines. You can see professional reviews of that lens here and there.
If you already have a 18-XXmm zoom, I understand that you want the widest. Same situation with me. And as you can see from my signature (btw. please add one in your profile for you with your gear too) I opted for the Sigma 10-20mm for straight reproduction :oops: :P and the 10.5mm fisheye for the widest possible fov.
As you probably know curves from fisheyes can be straightened with postprocessing tools but the results are unsharp at the borders and corners. See some examples from my fisheye originals defished in CaptureNX here.

Addendum: The fov on the Tokina 10-17 is "180 degrees (diagonal) at 10mm to 100 degrees at 17mm", the fov of the Nikon 10.5mm is 180° diagonal and the fov of the Sigma 10-20mm is 102° - 64° diagonally.

Hope that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:05 am 
The fov of the Sigma is much reduced if confronted with the Tokina !! Do you have pictures of the same subjet/landscape, taken with the 2 lenses, to see the difference ?
Also, why do you talk about a DIAGONAL fov ? Is it measured from the opposite angles of the image ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:23 am 

Ah, from "Bella Italia"!

I cannot provide you with photos from the Tokina 10-17mm as I don't have it. But with a little patience I will do a Nikon 10.5mm vs. Sigma 10mm shot of the same subject. The fov of the Nikon fisheye should be indicative of the fov of the Tokina at its shortest focal length. So stay with me.

As to diagonal measurement of fov, I think this is standard. It just shows that a non-circular fisheye can only capture 180° from corner to opposite corner, not from border to border. If you want to go that far, you would need a circular fisheye. That has 180° fov all around.
But to my knowledge there is no circular fisheye for the APS-C-sensor (the Sigma 8mm is only fully-circular on a FF-body!) :(

Ciao

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:32 pm 

You can find a fisheye vs non-fisheye comparison here.