Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:32 am 
I'm looking to replace my el cheapo kit 18-55 with a better "all round" lens. The 17-85 IS USM was appealing, but I just stumbled across this. Cheaper than the Canon, plus with a longer focal length and a slightly wider aperture than Canon's 17-85.

Haven't seen it spoken about much here, a search didn't pull up anything really.

So for any owners here - what are your thoughts, opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:55 am 

I don't own it myself, but you can find a review of it it here

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:41 am 
That's a review for the non-HSM version of the lens. I don't know if the optics have been ugraded in the HSM version so that review isn't automatically applicable.

edit: Found the review for the HSM version here. It appears the HSM makes a noticeable noise and is almost as noticeable as a normal motor. Shame really :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:40 pm 
Thanks for digging around and pulling up that info fellas.

Not long after I posted this thread I came across the 18-200. Now definitely considering that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:31 pm 
hmm i'm thinking of getting it, i can get the 18-125 for like 180$ on ebay... just two questions, if my budget is around 250 dollars (200 euros), is the best i can get considering sharpness and performance (not build quality etc...) ? yes i've been looking into the canon 55-250 IS aswell but seeing as the sigma is more of a walk-around lense it makes me want to buy it more. the second question, not so much related to this lens, when i open a sample image from this lens it's at a huge resolution so naturally when i click to make it fit my screen it looks a lot better then when it's maximized probably due to the pixels squishing together... is the effect same when you resize your image to like 20% or is there some other way to achieve this result (it looks very sharp to me...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:37 am 
hi everyone..

just one question..im using a sony a200 and found the sigma 18-125 on ebay which is not the HSM model..i asked the seller about this and the seller says that only canon models need the HSM...so will this model (non-HSM model) be sufficient for my A200?? or is it better to get the HSM model??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:48 pm 
I've just posted some sample images in the Lens Gallery:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... 732#108732

I also plan to write a user review in the near future.

Regards,
Asif

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:50 am 
I've just posted a user review in this forum. Please go to:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... 905#108905

Regards,
Asif