Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lens for the Dark
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:24 am 

Hello everyone. I was wonderring what would be possible contenders for a great lense ( around 300-700USD ) for shooting either in the dark ( outside ) or at dusk for a dark, cold feel. I know the pohtoshops can do some good hear, but a good lens and good camera can help as well. Due to finances and the possibility of a lay off ( totally lame but most likely will happen ) I will be forced to choose my new camera wisely and from a cost stand point, it looks like the Xti will do it instead of the D80 + package I want that would run about 2,000. I'll just have to learn to love that ugly duckling SLR for now and when I save up enough money and my job is absolutey 100% secure, I'll upgrade to the EOS 5D or something similar.

Thanks for a response.

ps. It's a bummer the companies don't send you more lenses to review, Gordon. Maybe it's because you give it to us straight and without the bias?

pps. I watched the Rebel Xti video review--for about the 5th time--and it seems as though you may have gone through multiple takes or were annoyed at something during shooting. Everything go ok? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:00 am 

Cheap as chips and best for low light: 50mm/f1.8. But it gives you a slight tele-view.
The alternative is the 28mm/f1.8 (for Canon) tested here. It's much more expensive but should still be within your budget.
If you don't want a prime, price is going up again, as fixed aperture f2.8 zooms are the next contender. The cheapest Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM is already out of budget, but a Sigma AF 24-70mm 2.8 EX DG Asp Makro may well do (tested there)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Yeah as Thomas says, the 50mm f1.8 is hard to beat price wise, but if you're thinking of, try to stretch to the f1.4 model with USM - much nicer.

If you can afford it, the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 is also really nice.

As for lenses, I can get hold of most of what I'm looking for but it's all a matter of time and resources!

And as for the Xti video, that was the very first one I did, so it is a bit rough! And it's all done in one take, so didn't give me much chance to try different things. The Xti bit in the 10 Megapixel group test video looks better!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:51 am 

All good information. Thanks a bunch. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:25 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
And as for the Xti video, that was the very first one I did, so it is a bit rough! And it's all done in one take, so didn't give me much chance to try different things. The Xti bit in the 10 Megapixel group test video looks better!

Gordon

Fear not, Gordon, part of the reason we love Cameralabs is your professional grade of technical know how of cameras and your subtle, jovial persona.