Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:35 am 

I went to a large camera store to check out the Sigma DP1 and the SD14 but they said they didn't carry Sigma ANYTHING because it was a toss up between Tamron and Sigma. Then I went to another place that does lots of hard to find camera things and they didn't carry it on the grounds that, "If we wouldn't buy for ourselves, we won't stock it." ??? Alrighty.

Foveon is located less than an hour of my home so I might as well try and get in there. I wonder if I can get in with a nod from cameraLabs for an in depth scoop...

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 · Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:51 pm 
Unless you're looking to play with/handle one, you'd probably be better off ordering it online! :?

And before going to any stores, you might want to find their phone numbers and call them instead, it might save you a lot of time! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:08 pm 

You're telling me!

My friend ended up buying a new strap, happily sending the standard Nikon strap to the floor.

I went out and finally bought a camera bag. WOot! A write up is coming soon.

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:12 am 
Hi theplatypus,

I've been searching for a good deal on the SD14 myself these last several weeks. Every single store I have found in the Vancouver area (BC) has the latest MSRP price.

However, online - on eBay - it it goes for maybe 40% less and that is brand new from reputable dealers.

My finger is poised over the trigger to get one of those - problem is that it means new lenses and flash.

While i think the Foveon sensor - in any camera - require more hard work to coax into yielding it's full potential (custom white balance shots with grey card every time, RAW shots only, ISO400 MAX! etc.) I think it can produce images that few other cameras can.

...gotta get me a paper route on the week-ends..lol.

Good luck with the hunt!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:39 pm 

haha, thanks!

I like the "work it till you got it" of the SD14. In a way, it sets it apart from the others. Sometimes I think the dSLR's are becoming too easy to use. :P

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:44 pm 

I found a Sigma DP1 for sale at a Ritz Camera on Auto Mall Parkway in Fremont, CA.

I have to commend Gordon for such an extensive video review. His observations were smart and thoughtful and objective. Handling the camera was easy, like in Gordon's review. Very fine focusing... but no optical zoom was disappointing. And yes... it took far to long to write the image to the card.

In terms of image quality, I couldn't really say it was overwhelming, but I felt a bit uncomfortable playing with it as the salesman continued to leer at me, standing 4 feet away at all times. Perhaps next time, I will bring an SD card of my own to use and post... have the girlfriend distract while I click away... haha

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
flickr me!