Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Advice on Lomo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 am 
Hi,

I used to have a Lomo LCA+ but unfortunately (along with my Nikon D80) it was stolen about a month ago. Since getting a D90 back on insurance (yay, gotta love that) I haven't reallly had the time to think about getting another one. That, and the funds can't really cater for a new LCA+!
However, I miss the grainy texture and colours that my lomo made - does anyone know of cameras that can do the same kind of thing? Also, are there any polaroid cameras that can produce the same effects?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:04 pm 
Hi Aimee

Holgas are similar and about the same price.

Forget about Polaroid because film is not on production anymore. Maybe someone will produce the film later but for now supply is not a sure thing.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:43 pm 
My only concern with the Holga is that aren't they medium format? Therefore 35mm film is useless and I can't get prints. Where I live, processing slide film costs a mint and i don't have a slide scanner in order to display the pictures...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:33 am 

Hi folks,

For those, like myself, who hadn't previously heard of Lomography there's an entry in Wikipedia which you can read here which states:
    The Lomo LC-A lens effect can be digitally emulated with photo-editing software such as GIMP or Photoshop.
Is this fair comment?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:04 am 
aimeeclaire wrote:
My only concern with the Holga is that aren't they medium format? Therefore 35mm film is useless and I can't get prints. Where I live, processing slide film costs a mint and i don't have a slide scanner in order to display the pictures...

You can find a 35mm adapter for about $12, so no problem with that...

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:06 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
Hi folks,

For those, like myself, who hadn't previously heard of Lomography there's an entry in Wikipedia which you can read here which states:
    The Lomo LC-A lens effect can be digitally emulated with photo-editing software such as GIMP or Photoshop.
Is this fair comment?

Bob.

Yeap, but you know how it is... "Lomonians" love their stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:16 pm 
hehe, fair comment - but the effect that film produces can't be replicated :) I've seen iPhones that have a "lomo effect" on the pictures they take and it's just extreme vignette and saturation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 am 
You can use 35mm Film in a Holga, either you can buy an adapter as Camut suggested, or you can go DIY and do this mod.

Bob Andersson wrote:
The Lomo LC-A lens effect can be digitally emulated with photo-editing software such as GIMP or Photoshop.[/color][/list]Is this fair comment?

Personally I don't think Holga/Lomo can be convincingly emulated (at least not that I have seen). There is just something unique about the images from those cameras, they are so unpredictable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:52 am 
Oops double post.

Last edited by mini on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:25 am 
It's fairly simple to get the look and feel of a Lomo image using Lightroom/Photoshop; but I think what makes a camera like the Lomo fun is the camera itself.

The DianaF+ looks pretty fun:

http://www.lomography.com/diana/products/clones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:00 am 
Hi,

There are some LC-A+ alternatives that you might consider:

Original LC-A, film range ISO25 to 400 (instead of 100 to 1600 on the LC-A+), no shutter release cable, or else the same camera as the LC-A+. $100 to $150 on eBay;
Olympus XA, compact rangefinder, f2.8 Zuiko lens, less than $100;
Olympus XA2/3/4, scale focus camera like the LCA, f3.5 Zuiko lens, X4 has close-up ability, less than $50..

The Zuiko lenses are much sharper than the Minitar I, but you can still obtain severe vignetting by cross processing the color slides.

Holga is also a good choice if 120 film + development don't cost you too much. I got one from a HK ebay seller for 25€. Lomography Society will charge you a lot more.

Bob has mentioned the lomo effect can be emulated with software, which is true, but what software can't emulate is the experience of using a LCA:

35mm film camera, Canon G10 size, lighter than G10, scale focus which means no delay when you press the shutter button (I usually set the focus before taking it out of my pocket, snap, and put it back.) make it an excellent snapshot camera. Excellent ergonomics, one hand is enough to get everything done, smoothly.

I have a DSLR system which I use to learn photography. My Polaroids and LCA give me totally different user experience. With them I can forget all the photographic rules while having fun with my friends.