Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:09 am 
I have to look on the 2.8 zoom lens firstly my main choice is the Sigma 24 70 f/2.8 HSM ( The new one ) but if the price way too expensive. My second option would be the Tamron 17 50 f/2.8.

Here is my questions, Does this lens when auto focussing is very noisy or silent. Is it reliable that taken good picture at low light & lastly since it is 2.8 does it have creamy looking Bokeh for the Portrait shot. :?:

Thanks in advanced for helping me out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:16 pm 

Here's a review that I would trust.
It's not the version with built in AF-motor (it's not really a HSM version) but one can assume, that the optical quality is identical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:32 pm 
Hi Adi, I have this lens for a while and I don't like it.

Here is my impression of the lens

I like Canon EF 28-135mm IS better for low light.

Maybe the Sigma one is better (I know they have good built, quiet & fast focus)
I own 2 Sigma EX lenses and satisfied with it mechanically and optically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:46 am 
Tamron 17 50 f/2.8 is a popular choice but been spoilt by the the optical quality. Sorry to hear that Enche Zein, you have a bad copy of your previous Tamron 17 50.

I think better to get the Sigma 24 70 HSM although it is pricy but I don't think I will get the Canon EF 17 55 f/2.8 IS USM it too expensive & out of my budget range sure it is a breath taking lens. Is that true this lens is a hidden L ? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:39 pm 
it is not only hidden L, it surpassed the quality some L lenses plus IS for standard zoom that even 24-70mm L does not provide.

Why it is not labelled L in my opinion is because of the build quality (exterior case) and also it is EF-S lens which can't be use in full frame camera. None of EF-S lenses currently are labeled L.

Check out this thread:
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

exactly what i got. It is far from sharp in my opinion.

It might be Auto Focus failure too, Tamron has been reputable on having clumsy AF that hunt for target most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:04 am 
I got the Tamron 17-50 the other day. Have been playing with it over the weekend quite a bit.

While I initially got this lens to do concert photography, I seriously don't think that the autofocus would be up to it for me. It's just not fast enough and hunts quite a bit (unlike my 50mm 1.8 which has pretty impressive autofocus on moving subjects in relatively low light).

I am actually impressed with this lens though. Nice and sharp. The autofocus is a little noisy but that doesn't really phase me. You can get nice and close to subjects too which actually surprised me. Granted that this image was cropped a bit...

Shot at 50mm f/2.8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:21 am 
Hi Thanks for the image sample. It may look sharp but I think I should invest a flashgun first. But I'm still in research to look on the standard zoom lens ( I want to upgrade from kit lens ).