Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:53 pm 

A forum member asked:
Quote:
Hi Thomas, I read your very thorough review of the sigma 12-24mm. But I still have one question Did you feel 'vulnerable' while using the lens (because there's no default filter thread on it) ? For me this is the biggest drawback for me getting this lens. It's a shame, the 12-24 really appeals to me because I can get a decent wide angle now (on 1.6 crop) and still be able to use it on a FF (probably in 3 years or so). In your review you said that when you mount the 2 part lenscap with an 82mm filter it will result in vignetting below 14mm. Is this also truth with 1.6 crop bodies and did you have a chance to test it ? One final question: did you find the f4.5 too narrow in some situations ?

Thanks

Well, I didn't feel vulnerable without a filter as I didn't test it under bad conditions. To the contrary: having a lens that wide and still being able to apply a filter if I like is a very good proposition! Honestly, had I thought a little longer about the possibilities of Nikon FX-sensors, I'm sure to have kept this lens - but I was 100% focussed on the cropped sensor, where the 10-20mm Sigma is the better choice...
As to vignetting, I didn't have a chance to test it on a 1.6 crop body, but I think it's fair to assume that you should get almost to 13mm with only little vignetting, when using the filter...
The aperture never was any problem for me, at least as all the alternatives under 1000$ were not better than f4. The only real alternative would be seriously expensive glass from Nikon/Canon at f2.8, like the new Nikkor 14-24mm or 17-35mm or equivalent Canon lenses.