Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:47 am 
hello
i need help determining which of these lenes are worth the money the:

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens

Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens

so people who own it can please get some insight on both of the lenes? like how fast and well they focus indoors

thankyou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:59 am 

I am in the same situation as you (as my uncle jacked my 70-200mm Sigma) The Sigma definitely focuses extremely fast and has decent reach for larger animals like crocs and some birds. Many people say the quality at 200mm is soft, but it isn't as bad as people put it. Honestly, unless you are a landscape shooter or a serious wild life shooter, the 200mm isn't a big deal, and still at that focal length, the quality is still very good. On forums however, when people compared the Tamron, the IQ seems superb. It really depends though. On Pentax system, not many lenses have USM, so I ultimately went for the 70-200mm (I might get tammy if i get my hands on it though) Honestly, go to the store and check both out and see if the focusing on the Tamron is fast and quiet enough for you. If it isn't then go for the sigma!
Mind asking what system you are using? (and sorry for late reply I am just looking through)

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:26 am 
My set up isnt get top notch, my wallet is thin for various reasons so my equip,ent is a little low grade but it manages to get the job done. I use a Canon Rebel XSI with a 24-135mm Tamron Macro (very good lens for all around use) and other 2 lenses that were given which are the standard canon 18-55mm and 55-200mm and a Speedlie 430Ex II.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:56 am 
theshnkr wrote:
hello
i need help determining which of these lenes are worth the money the:

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens

Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro Lens

so people who own it can please get some insight on both of the lenes? like how fast and well they focus indoors

thankyou

I suggest you better pick the Sigma 70 200 than the Tamron 70 200. The one with the Sigma has quicker & more silent AF motor than the Tamron. For Tamron it is bit ugly for the body side & the AF motor tend to be Noisy & sluggish. Pick a Sigma 70 200 HSM II f/2.8 at your local store & you'll never get wrong to have it.

If Money is not the matter I'll suggest go for the Canon EF 70 200 f/2.8L USM ( Non IS ) which cost a little Extra than the Sigma :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:33 pm 

First off, It really doesn't matter if the lens is ugly or not
Second, he has a tight budget.
Third, Tammy has better optical quality than Sigma.

www.flickr.com/glxlr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 am 
i face the same dillema but i pick Sigma, I'll see how this lens perform in real life next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:11 pm 
personally, I'd pay the 3/2 price of the canon any day.. better build quality and the combination of sharp images at 200mm wide open AND fast autofocus is well worth it. if you ask me, the only performance that really matters for a tele, is wide open and most of all at 200mm, because that's the setting used most of the time (at least for me).

if you really want go go with the tamron or sigma, I'd definitely take the Sigma and pray for a good copy (or buy at a store where you can return the lens within 2 weeks or so). The tamron AF is said to be rather slow, and for a telephoto lens the AF is absolutely crucial in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:17 pm 
yeah for Canon definitely get the Canon 70-200mm they have all the combination with very awesome result and range of price you can afford
starting with f4, f4 is, f2.8 and f2.8 = awesome! price range start at $650 to $1500

for Nikon there is not much option, Nikon only have 70-200mm af-s vr
The other telephoto lenses are pretty outdated in term of AF speed and mechanical.

I think Sony and Pentax selection is also limited for advance consumer. So they might look at this lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:52 pm 
I was in the same dilemma. But honestly, I like the IQ from Tamron.
After read many reviews and talked with the owner of Tamron lens, they almost had the same conclusion : nice IQ but slow AF in low light condition & can't be used for moving objects.

I prefer saving the money for a better telephoto lens (if you are in budget) like EF 70-200 f/4 IS or EF 70-200 f/2.8 NON IS (both are not huge different in price), cause in the end you won't regret what you get it.

If you are shooting for portraits, landscapes TAMRON is a good choice (IMHO), but if you can saving more money around USD 300-400 you can get one of lens that I mentioned above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:40 pm 

You've certainly seen my review of the Tamron here.
The lens has quite some potential but the AF-precision is unfortunately clearly sub-par. So I gave the lens back :(
I was almost testing the Sigma, but then decided that the reports were not positive enough to try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:44 am 
Thomas wrote:
You've certainly seen my review of the Tamron here.
The lens has quite some potential but the AF-precision is unfortunately clearly sub-par. So I gave the lens back :(
I was almost testing the Sigma, but then decided that the reports were not positive enough to try it.

I am curious how Sigma/Tamron compares to older Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8