Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:34 am 

Hi folks,

From this press release:
    Kawasaki, Japan, November 11th, 2008 - Sigma Corporation (Location: Kawasaki, Japan) has acquired 100% of the stock of the company that developed the original three-layer image sensor, Foveon Inc. Foveon will continue its sensor development operations in San Jose, CA, USA.

Foveon made history when it developed and patented the world's first three-layer image capture technology, placing a stack of RGB pixels in each pixel location. As a result, Foveon sensors detect all three primary colors in every pixel location, producing images that are sharper and have significantly reduced image artifacts compared to competing image sensor technologies.

Since Sigma first worked with Foveon in 2000, both companies have enjoyed a cooperative working relationship directed toward developing highly-efficient DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) cameras and compact digital cameras which take the best advantage of the X3 sensor technology. Sigma Corporation has employed Foveon's technology in its entire digital camera line, producing images which are acclaimed by both amateur and professional photographers all over the world for their high resolution and for their three-dimensional look. Both the latest DLSR, the SD14, and the compact DP1 camera - which packs the full spec of a DSLR into a compact camera - have met with similar acclaim. Two additional Sigma camera products based on Foveon's image sensor technology have been announced for 2009.

The acquisition of Foveon will not only enhance the development of new types of image sensors for high quality digital cameras, but will also create a synergistic effect with Sigma's camera and lens business by improving the integration between the camera and sensor. This will result in camera products which will uniquely meet the widely ranging functional and image quality needs of demanding photographers.

As the digital camera market continues to expand, Foveon and Sigma will continuously evolve and improve the X3 sensor technology, thus expanding the company's photography-related business. In addition, Sigma remains firmly committed to preserving and nurturing the culture of photography.

More information
    More information about Foveon, Inc. can be found at www.foveon.com.
Maybe we'll now see some serious investment in the Foveon sensor which, from what I can tell, hasn't advanced much in several years. Let's hope so. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 pm 

is the sensor good? why other company seems does not interested in it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:27 pm 

Bah! You beat me to it! Haha! Well... that can be deleted.

I wonder how this is going to effect the company in the long run. Cost of camera, R & D and all that.

To your question, "Is the sensor good?"

That's pretty subjective. I think it's great tech, but I have not personally tried it. At high ISO's and low light, the sensor shows it's weaknesses. Lots of noise.

But take a look at sample galleries with the DP1, SD14 and I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Foveon's sample gallery: Clicky!

Daniel

danielmcglaughlin.com
Nikon D80 ยท Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF
Sigma Foveon sensor fan... future owner, promise!
flickr me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm 

theplatypus wrote:
Bah! You beat me to it! Haha! Well... that can be deleted...

Done. :)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:20 am 

I've developed a serious interest in the Foveon sensor and the DSLRs that Sigma has put it in.

Here is my interpretation/summary based on what I have read:
1. Under the right circumstances, the Foveon can produce images that can knock your socks off - definitely a "3D effect" of sorts to be felt on some of the best shots. I don't feel I have seen this in any 35mm format - when I look at some promo shots from medium-format cameras I see something similar.
2. The operative words are "under the right circumstances". It doesn't do so well in low light and handles noise poorly.
3. The Sigma bodies and processors using the FOVEON are a little behind the times in terms of speed. The processor isn't too snappy either.
4. Overall I think it takes some getting used to before you hit that sweet-spot in terms of subjects and conditions, before you really create those "wow" images.
5. I think it's a necessity to shoot in RAW to harness the dynamic range that the sensor can manage.

..but this is purely a very personal and subjective interpretation. I have never shot with a FOVEON sensor.

Nevertheless - purely based on the images I have seen it produce - I may very well jump ship and get the upcoming SD-15 if the reviews show that some of the sluggishness and the poor ISO handling has been improved.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:05 am 

thanks for the explaination, in the world where there are competition of iso, speed and megapixel race are fiercer than ever, no wonder the sensor is not as attractive as other.