Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where to find wildlife?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:51 am 

I was a little unsure on wether to post here or the travel section, but i'll give it a try here.
After my trip to Uganda, i really got to love wildlife photography (even more than i already did). And i was thinking that maybe some of you guy knew some good spots around the world for some various wildlife photos. Anything would be of interest, so go ahead and name it :)

Thank you...

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:52 pm 
Well, I am from Brazil and around here you can find plenty of species, specially if you go North (to Amazon State) or South-West (the Cerrado and Pantanal area).
In Amazon you will find birds, monkeys, jaguars, some deers... but most of it will be birds and monkeys.
In the Pantanal/Cerrado area you will find water birds, alligators, big rodents like the capybara, big snakes (100 Kg + :shock: ) , bigger deers and with a little luck one jaguar. It is a nice place to fish if you like too..

Here is a little bit more information about Pantanal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantanal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:56 pm 
My personal dream is to go to the Galapagos Islands. Looks like a great place to get all kinds of unique wildlife photos. You should look into it =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:16 pm 

The "best" thing I would like to "safari" is the wild horses, Mustangs up near Jordan Valley, and the high desert area where Nevada and Idaho share corners. I know that there are opportunities available, to go and observe, and photograph, but I want to pack in with my horse, and make it really incredible, not just ordinary expedition. Hot hot hot in the summertime, and cold cold cold cold cold in the winter...and I think the Bureau of Land Management would confiscate my camera, and my horse..so it would have to be a stealth trip..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:52 pm 
Hi Jake,
I can see your location is Copenhagen, Denmark. Have you been to the Deerpark? (it's not far from Copenhagen.)
The Deer Park is a state-owned forest and thereby open 24 hours a day all year round. Most Copenhageners traditionally visit the Deer Park at least once a year in order to see the deer at close quarters. Within the Deer Park there are about 2100 deer during the summer... - I have been there many times and loving it. :)
You can read more about it here

http://www.skovognatur.dk/Udgivelser/Va ... rsborg.htm

take care, bentn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:21 pm 
Noceo wrote:
And i was thinking that maybe some of you guy knew some good spots around the world for some various wildlife photos. Anything would be of interest, so go ahead and name it :)

Now I am obviously just a totally anonymous person … but if you are interested in wildlife and live in Scandinavia … why don’t you just step out of our door and shoot some photos? Just an example: every year millions and millions of birds travel all the way from central Africa up to Scandinavia because they can find SO many insects! So it literally only takes a bird’s brain to find something interesting in Scandinavia ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:26 pm 

I have to move a little more than just out my front door, since i live in the middle of copenhagen :)
But looking for wildlife in scandinavia isnt a bad idea indeed. I just dont know where to start looking...

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:15 am 
Noceo wrote:
I have to move a little more than just out my front door, since i live in the middle of copenhagen :)
But looking for wildlife in scandinavia isnt a bad idea indeed. I just dont know where to start looking...

You can find many wild birds (falcons) and squirrels in Frederiksberg garden, central Copenhagen. There are a lot of big lakes with lots of wildlife north of Copenhagen (especially insects – so I would recommend you a macro lens). Other places in Denmark there are quite big bird areas (Little Vildmose – I think you will like that place) and if you go east to Skåne (Sweden) then you can find wild mooses (if you travel to the north you can also find bears). If you like to travel further out then you can go to Norway and so on….

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:17 pm 
bentn wrote:
Have you been to the Deerpark? (it's not far from Copenhagen.)
The Deer Park is a state-owned forest and thereby open 24 hours a day all year round. Most Copenhageners traditionally visit the Deer Park at least once a year in order to see the deer at close quarters. Within the Deer Park there are about 2100 deer during the summer... - I have been there many times and loving it. :)

take care, bentn

I've been thinking about that too since i got my camera, and now with the Fall comming up it gets beatiful! You should really go there, or at least check it out.

And then there's always the alternative (don't know if it has open during winter though) the zoo.

0eyvind