Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:30 pm 

I haven't posted a picture in a very long time and I figured it's time I changed that.

On a diving trip to Bretagne I took recently we took one day off to go to a Northern Gannet colony. I took loads of pictures, but because of the waves and wind and being in a small rubber boat most of them were not too good. I managed through sheer quantity to get some nice ones though.

A Northern Gannet flying above with a little silver lining:

The island seen from the side, all the white stuff is birds :)

On this picture you can see slightly better the incredible mass of birds, According to the last figures, there are 19000 pairs on the island, and seeing as Northern Gannets only start to breed in their 5th year, the total would be somewhere around 60000.

[/img][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:08 pm 

yipeeee paulk, glad to see you back and glad to see your work.
brave soul to climb into a rubber boat, and even better that you got some great shots to show for the effort. my gosh, that looks like snow on that little island...amazing. Makes me wonder why they enjoy one side of the island over another...must be wind, or wave related? l Love the capture of the overhead flyer...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:24 pm 

Hey patti, thanks for the reply! I wondered about the choice of location myself and I think it has to do with wind, The part of the island where the birds are is the downwind part of the island for most of the time (we smelled that when we went past that part :P) The overhead shot is my favourite too :)