Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:01 pm 
Don't really know where i should post this under so just move the post if required :D

Anyway, followed my dad into the jungle (work related) a few days ago so while he was working i was busy looking for stuff to photograph.
Here are some pics from somewhere in the rainforest in Brunei....

Very glad to say that Brunei forestry laws have been doing a great job in controlling the logging industry in maintaining and sustaining the growth of the rainforests in Brunei over the decades. The percentage of rainforests here is believe it or not actually increasing as reported by the forestry department.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:25 am 
Love the irony in these shots...but one does have to be careful when viewing shots like this.

I have never been to Brunei but I do know the camera is a great tool for telling a story and the old adage about a camera never lying is simply...well...a...lie.

National Geographic make millions off their pictures telling stories but we need to keep our judgement reserved on many issues until we know the full story.

This picture could have been taken at a approved forestry area or plantation, I don't know.

I am not having a go at you Melvin, please don't get me wrong...I think these are fantastic shots, sometimes I just get a bit sensitive (some say a little too sensitive :oops: ) when people use pictures or words to tell a story without telling the complete story. I think especially of those e-mails one gets with real photos and wrong descriptions or photos which have been doctored etc.

Anyway I also love the dragon fly pictures

great work

Regards
Daniel

Last edited by DanielD on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:11 am 
they're all great except the last one, the mushrooms are a bit not in focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:11 am 
Thanks for the replies guys, DanielD i understand what you mean, i've also placed a sentence at the bottom of the pics explaining (well not really but sort of lol) that these were legal logging zones and all. But yep point noted. Thanks for the heads up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:48 pm 
Why do I feel forced to comment. I personally think if there were a positive side to this, I'd compare it to hunting. "They Say" Hunting deer actually helps there survival. If left alone they will over populate and get sicknesses, be unhealthy and die. Well I'm not sure about that I don't know either way. I know 100 hunters and they kill dear every year. I don't like it, I love animals, and hate to see death. But If its true, I guess let the hunters hunt, but I'm not doing it. Same here IMO, I love trees, and those animals. Maybe it is not as bad as we all think. But you can't avoid our ignorance and have it strike a nerve. :D

Your dragon fly pictures are amazing. I can't seem to get any to stay still enough in my yard to get a nice shot. What type of lens are you using? Love to color also.

I'd love to see more of this jungle. Any other pictures maybe a little bit into the woods, or a long shot of the area? Looks like it could be beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:09 pm 
Man alive this forum is getting more like a party political forecast.....Just admire the pics already.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:29 am 

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh grasshoppppa...not all photography is fluffy. Some of it can actually make us think...matters not if this is legal or illegal harvest..matters more that we are aware that the rain forrest keep us all alive...from the tiny beautiful dragonfly as captured so brilliantly...to the metal machines that consume the earth abstract and cold.
And politics are what keep us apart. When I see the world thru your photos, I know we are the same.

patti

off topic editorial
sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:05 am 
are those timber called meranti ??

it's sad that contractors in borneo are logging and nature itself would be gone even before we know it.

kudos on capturing the dragonfly... :D