Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Some of my animal photos
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:39 pm 
Hi everyone, my name is Nick and I recently got into SLR photography round after last Christmas. The shots I am about to show you were taken with a Canon EOS 40D, one of them however was taken with a Fujifilm finepix 9600. I will list the info on each photo to the best of my knowledge but sorry I won't be able to remember everything about them so again sorry if you can't critique properly due to my lack of info for you.

I got this at night at my neighbour's Koi pond...I used the pop up flash on my 40D and it was set to shutter priority mode at 120th of a second with an ISO of 800. I was surprised how it came out thanks to the flash, the fish was right on the surface with another one behind, I also managed to catch some pond weed in the background and I really think it gives the impression it was taken underwater by a diver :)

Took this at South Shields park and again I was surprised by the result. The swan in the bottom corner of the photo with nothing but water, combined with it's low head I think give the mood of loneliness in the water. Unfortunately two items appearing out of the water at the back of the pic ruins this mood somewhat so I hope to get them cloned out from my friend who knows photoshop well. Taken with 40D with a wide apeture in AV mode.

I caught this photo with my Finepix S9600 at the dolphin show in Sea World. I was very happy to have caught it, it sort of looks like a wave of dolphins. Unfortunately the only info I know of this is it was taken in shutter priority mode, I can't give anymore info than that.

Thankfully my friend who's a whizz with Photoshop edited the above image into this:

As anyone else, critique is welcome but I must say sorry if I got confused with apeture, I tend to get confused between high and low apeture numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:13 am 

Son of a Flipper!

these are great, and welcome to the Labs...home base for alot of us..glad you could make it, and glad to see your good work, here...my favorite is the dolphins, and of course, you had to post a swan, so you know where my heart is...I love it, think it might be a tidge over exposed, but fixable in photoshop...aren't you glad we have THAT little tool..let Alex, or dd_ or big pix tell you how, because they are the experts...(actally ask anyone but me)...because I struggle with it too...whooohooooo! welcome welcome...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:56 pm 
patti wrote:
Son of a Flipper!

these are great, and welcome to the Labs...home base for alot of us..glad you could make it, and glad to see your good work, here...my favorite is the dolphins, and of course, you had to post a swan, so you know where my heart is...I love it, think it might be a tidge over exposed, but fixable in photoshop...aren't you glad we have THAT little tool..let Alex, or dd_ or big pix tell you how, because they are the experts...(actally ask anyone but me)...because I struggle with it too...whooohooooo! welcome welcome...

patti

Thanks for your kind words Patti :) I was nervous about putting my pics here at first but my confidence has been boosted! And as for that swan pic I messed around with curves and came out with this:

Here's some more shots I've got as well:

Taken with 40D at a shutter speed of 500 with an ISO of 100 on Shutter Priority mode.

Old photo taken of some Heron like bird at Sea World in Florida, I got really close to it and got a shot in Macro mode on my Fujifilm S9600.

This was taken in 2006 at my first visit to Sea World, my Dad got this with a simple Pentax point and shoot camera but I think it came out quite pretty :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:13 pm 
The swan picture is a nice one, but it's a shame the highlights are so blown. :( But the dolphin pic is great :!: :)

Mark