Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:15 pm 

I posted a raccoon thread last year for some of the local wild raccoons...since that thread, I've had one of the raccoons that lives in my backyard trees become so much of a regular that she comes to eat in the middle of the afternoon, while I'm swimming in my pool. I started bringing the camera out to the poolside to photograph birds and such, so she became a natural target for my shots - she's a nutty raccoon, very personable, unafraid of me - she eats 10 feet away, makes funny faces, rolls over on her back as comfortable as can be, and even comes up to the pool for a drink while I'm standing in the pool right near her. I thought some of the wildlife folks might enjoy a look at a 'pet' raccoon - she's not technically a pet as she's wild and can go where she wishes, but she stays around my yard because it's safe and the feeding is good!:

I've named her Cleopatra - not only for the black around the eyes, but because she acts like some kind of queen!

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:26 am 

She looks fearsome and cute at the same time, unusual images.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:04 pm 

She's definitely cute, and quite silly too. Lots of funny poses, and faces. She's quite harmless - I suppose if she wanted to bite you it would hurt, but raccoons around here are quite accustomed to being near or around people and tend to more often beg for food or steal it than try to bite - they're much like squirrels are in parks around the world - a squirrel could bite you too, but rarely does...that's about what it's like with raccoons down here. The funniest part is that she will lay completely upside down, eating seeds off her belly, even with a person standing less than 10 feet away - that shows an incredible level of comfort and unguardedness in an animal to bare their belly. I have as many as 6 living around my backyard area, along with 2 or 3 opossum, dozens of squirrels, iguanas, big knight anoles, various snakes, and lots of bird species. I'm in a very suburban place, but have lots of tree cover in the backyard and am close to a natural area, and in Florida it's quite common to interact with all kinds of wildlife on a daily basis. Some aren't so cute or cuddly as Cleopatra (like when I had to get an alligator out of my pool).
Thanks for looking.

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:45 am 

Looks like you have so much potential there for getting your model to pose and set up some entertaining shots. I guess we just have to wait for the book to come out to see what you achieve.

http://keystrokesukimages.com