Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 161  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:12 pm 

... here's another example of sneaking up on those ducks

... with this one i snuck up on them using a ditch on the side leading into the water, and i was laying pretty low in an awkward position (hence the shot not being level)... as soon as the shutter went off, that little black duck with the white beak (about 4-5 meters away) just charged forward and started quacking like crazy at me... they are very protective over their young and generally just aggressive... i was laughing my pants off afterwards :lol: i've seen them chase dogs away, and i'm talking about big dogs... it's a very funny sight.

(edit: re-posted photo)

Last edited by thomasrichards on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:05 pm 
Thomas wrote:
"only have the 35mm"
Pah, that teaches you something about perspective and "zooming with your feet".

Which will be wet feet in this case. :)

But nice pic.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:39 pm 

Repeat: "Beautiful composition!"
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

"wet feet"? Pah! A good photographer may even swim in the pond to capture an unusual sight :shock:
Which is what your last image almost looks like, Thomas :lol:
Didn't take any pics when the wadlde started chasing for your feet :?: :twisted:

Btw. the 35mm f/2.0 is so sharp that you can easily blow up 1.5-2.0x (or crop respectively). With that you're at an effective focal length of 50-70mm.

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:51 pm 

whooooohooooooooo a guard waddle...I guess you have been quacked off, for reals...wonderful perspective, and beyond the call of duty for quackage...you done good....! I am SO impressed...no kidding, a soaking, and a waddle...what more could I hope for...made my day, my friend, you made my day.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:40 pm 

... thanks MBrutus, Ben, Thomas and patti, it means alot to me... thanks.

... i guess photography is bringing out the 5 year old in me again with all the climbing and crawling :lol: :lol: :lol:

... VERY GLAD you guys liked them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:55 pm 

ahhhhhhhhhh, it is bliss, I think most of us here, shed our adult demeanor, and see the world a little differently, even if it is only quackage..something gleeful in playing in the water...and coming home to find you have captured the joy of the day...I love this thread...there is wonder even in a waddle.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:51 pm 
Patti, managed to get a shot of a water bird for you although not a duck again unfortunately :(

Been getting more serious with my photography lately and striving to take better pictures each time I go out, really worked hard the last couple of months, so hopefully that will show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:57 pm 

Wow! Amazing shot!!! I really like the way you really threw out the background!!! I also like the intensity of the bird face! Nice capture!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:18 am 
MBrutus2009 wrote:
Wow! Amazing shot!!! I really like the way you really threw out the background!!! I also like the intensity of the bird face! Nice capture!!!

Thank you, I was borrowing a friends f2.8 IS USM 70-200 at the time (I had used this lens before but only indoors), I liked the results so much I raided my business account and purchased one the next day with a 2x extender, trouble is I am now VERY skint lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:33 am 

Haha! I would imagine so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:26 am 

Mark-A, what a phenomenal shot...you know the waddles are in such good company with this gent around...and that lens!! You really utilized it's ability...I think all of us are stepping up our photography, I just started class tonight. This one shows that you have really been working on it, great compostion, and captured the mood of this waterbird.. that strange, almost "non color" blue iris coupled with the stark plumage...Yes, oh, yes, most certainly fowl intent has been achieved! even with a pointy bill....love this one...great shot...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:45 pm 
Mark-A wrote:
MBrutus2009 wrote:

Thank you, I was borrowing a friends f2.8 IS USM 70-200 at the time (I had used this lens before but only indoors), I liked the results so much I raided my business account and purchased one the next day with a 2x extender, trouble is I am now VERY skint lol

About how far away were you when you took that shot and what 2x extender do you use? If you don't mind me asking =)

That show is amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:43 pm 
serenity wrote:
About how far away were you when you took that shot and what 2x extender do you use? If you don't mind me asking =)

That show is amazing!

Hi Serenity,

Thanks for your kind words.

I truely cannot remember exactly as I shot about 20 or so shots of these birds in different poses, but I would guess 20 - 30 feet, these were taken at Colchester Zoo which gives great access to some wonderfully exotic animals and I purchased a full years pass for just £37 so will be going back for lots more :) The couple I go with have also signed up with the RSPB so we now have access to all the hides around the country so with a bit of luck I will have some more to show soon.

The Extender I use is the Canon one but I did not have this on at the time of this shot (whilst my friend has the exact same extender he was using it with his f2.8 135mm lens whilst I borrow the 70-200).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 am 
That's awesome!! Can't wait to see more photos!

Thanks for the reply =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:54 am 

POST MORE WADDLES!!! I love looking at these things because I don't get to see them very often!?!?! :( But the fact that I do get to here then it works out pretty well!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 161  Next