Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Hello there!

I was recently lucky enough to visit Kushiro in Southern Hokkaido, Japan, home to the iconic Japanese Red Crested Cranes, or as they're known in Japanese, Tancho Zuru.

They're absolutely beautiful birds, and pretty large too, so if you have a fair telephoto lens, you'll get some nice shots. Here's one I took using a Canon EOS 5D equipped with the Canon 70-300mm DO lens at 300mm f5.6.

Of course being at a top wildlife viewing location in Japan, I was using the smallest and least impressive lens! Check out this for lens envy! Typical kit for each photographer included a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II with a 600mm f4.0 lens on a tripod for the long shots, and an EOS 5D with a 100-400mm slung round the neck for quick 'snaps'!

If you're interested in photographing the cranes, take a train from Sapporo to Kushiro, then a local bus to one of the two main viewing locations. Tsurimidai is closer and literally across the road from the bus stop, but I'd recommend staying on the bus another few minutes to Yakubamae for the Tancho Zuru sanctuary. It's then about a 10 minute walk to the viewing area, but there were many more birds and that's where all the really serious photographers were.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:05 pm 

Nice shot Gordon!
But your remarks on lens envy leads me to the same subject as in my excursion on whether whale watching leads to more than "postcards", jogging your personal memories.
Yes, there is a couple of cranes dancing together, nice colors, sharp pic, but is it any more relevant/personal/art to a third person than say those two swans: http://flickr.com/photos/38912116@N00/373758511/ ?
For me, the photo of all those lens-heavy guys behind the fence trying to get the best pic is much more relevant/personal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:19 am 
Site Admin

Hi Thomas, yep, those guys with 600mm f4.0 lenses had both the equipment - and I expect the experience - to take far better shots than mine, but as I've said before, I do get some mileage out of taking postcard images.

If nothing else, they're a nice reminder of somewhere you visited even if you're not in them yourself! I'll try and post something more personal next time though!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:47 pm 

It was certainly a great experience going to Japan an seeing this and more. I envy you!
Are there any interesting wildlife colonies in New Zealand? What about the Albatross colony in Dunedin and the seals north of Kaikoura or the white heron sanctuary near Franz Joseph glacier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:31 am 
Site Admin

Hi Thomas, I've replied to this in a new thread here.

Gordon