Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: European Magpie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:23 pm 

The photo isn't as sharp as is could have been I guess, I forgot to put the ISO up to 1600 and I still don't have a tripod. I like the "framing" however.

Any feedback, especially on how to get fast moving animals sharp, would be much apreciated.

Post subject: Re: European Magpie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:21 pm 
Paukl wrote:

Any feedback, especially on how to get fast moving animals sharp, would be much apreciated.

I'll second that, I got my dog to freeze pretty well in action, but that's quiet a bit slower than this. I love trying to get nice bird shots but I'm having trouble with only 135mm lens on my camera. Everything is so far away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:32 pm 
Nice cap Paukl.
It's hard to get them in focus flying.

I was lucky this weekend and got this one in pretty good focus. It did a really really close flyby so the sharpness ony applied on the wing tho.

This one is landing on a boat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:18 am 

I'm telling you, these bird photos facinate me, since BP got me hooked on birds..I have wondered too, how you capture them so clearly...all of the shots I have tried so far just have not been all I had hoped..Khol, I think those photos are really nice...love the wings...you are allot closer to getting it right then I am!!!

Great work Paukl and Khol..the way I look at it is we only fail, if we stop trying...

patti

ps: BP, how do you get that stop action clairity, when the light is less than perfect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:32 am 
Patti...
I had lots of pictures in my camera of the magpie. These two were the only one with reasonable sharpness.

The only postprosessing i did was autolevels and applied a small amount of unsharp mask to make the birds head a little bit more visible.

If i know i'm about to shoot a flying bird i flip my camera into boost-mode. That is 6,5 pictures / second or semiboost (3 pic/sec). The propability that at least one picture is ok gets higher that way.

At the time i took this pictures my camera was in P-mode, so i was quite lucky that the bird didnt flap the wings in the first picture, and lucky that tha camera chose a reasonable fast shutterspeed in the second one.

I guess Tv-mode is preferable when taking these kind of pictures.
BP ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:17 pm 
Hey guys i was just wondering if you could try this out?

http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_t ... hoto.shtml

using that shot maybe you can get some neat effects...i dont knw was just thinking about it this morning

Khol really nice shot, i really like the second one even tho the 1st one came out more clean i prefer the composition of the second one!

anywho, these litte fellas are all over the forst these days :) but i m not a big wildlife photographer :P so i will leave it up to the ones that have the skills and the equipment for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:59 pm 

Hey Khol, nice pictures! I especially like the landing picture, because it shows the magpie in an unusual position.
I pretty much shot in P-mode as well, so i could make some improvements by shooting in high ISO and shutter speed priority mode. But still it would be hard to get them up to "big-pix-standard".

As for that action blurring, I will try that soon. I don't think it solve the sharpness problem though, because i already shoot with IS on. It might still be worthwile though, because that effect is very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:05 pm 
The Magpie is a very interesting bird to observe. You can tell that it's a very intelligent bird.

I've seen two magpies fooling around with a cat, and they did a pretty good job.

Yep, i liked the landing pic myself. The pose kind of looks like a devil, angel och something. It's a little bit to bad about the busy background tho.

Will definatelly post more magpie-pictures when i get some.

My pictures are taken in Hudiksvall, Sweden.
Where are yours taken Paukl ?