Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:59 am 
Hey Big Pix,

I'm a big admirer of your bird photos and really enjoy when you post your often amazing images of our winged friends.

The birds where I usually go are of a more common type, but beautiful and not without majesty of their own

Thanks for inspiring me towards this type of photography - these are in appreciation of your generous sharing:

1/640sec
F5.6
Metering mode: Pattern
Focal length: 200mm
ISO400
No flash
No crop

1/1000sec
F5/6
ISO320
Metering mode: Pattern
Focal length: 180mm
No flash
No crop
(This fella comes sailing over me and I crouch and shoot - the only shot I got of him too. Was very lucky to get it so "clean")
Cheers :-)

(Done with my ever-present Nikon D40 and the 55-200mm VR)

Last edited by Kenneth Skou on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:24 am 

Lah, not the dreaded gull...

beautifully executed..(!) both of these. Even the gull. Extrodinary, I love, how that duck has the same beautiful colors as the reeds, and the water..
don't tell him he is ordinary. Look how beautiful he is. I, too have become quite a bird lover, since I joined..and when Big Pix posts those birds with all of those colors, I can hardly wait.

Lah. ya did good. Even the gull. I love how his feathers are almost transparent, letting the blue sky shine thru.

EGGGGselent work..

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:57 am 
many thanks :lol: :lol: :lol:...... I am just lucky to live in part of Australia that the native birds of different variety feed in the garden........

I have just shot some feeding and am down loading now, gee it does not take much to fill a card when having fun.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:03 pm 
Beautiful shots, the colours in number one are amazing, you could dnot make them up. Makes me want to go and dye my hair.....................but maybe not eh,.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Lah, nice shots - and I do like the way the D40 handles colours...

Could you share the technical side? Focal length, expsoure, crops etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:08 am 
Thanks for all the kind words :-)

Whether they are praise, suggestions or a plain "eww!" it's a great motivator to get some feed-back here in these forums from all of you!

Gordon - edited the post to include some tech-info, reminding me that I should always provide that.

lol..ormina, I think of him as a real renaissance-duck. The colors are right out of some French Revolution movie (which is probably utter nonnsense if you don't have a weird mind like mine..lol).

Yes Big Pix, you are indeed fortunate to have ready access to such magnificent creatures! And we for you sharing them!

Patti, I've always admired gulls for their intrepid ways. they are tough in ways few birds are and starkly beautiful in their own way. Resilient, sleek and very goal-oriented :-) It was a lucky day with clear skies and a set sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:38 am 
Nice pictures.
Specially like the gull-picture even tho the Mallard have more colors. You got a nice exposure of the mallards "side-face" (Little bit of an english problem here :))

The vinjetting like look on the gull, is that something you postprocessed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:47 am 
Hi khol,

thanks! and I'm not pointing fingers - English is not my first language, but I understand you perfectly.

I went back and looked at the original higher rez snap just to make sure. I didn't apply any vignette to this one - had to check though, because I could very well have.

In part, I think it's because of the 180mm focal length of my cheap zoom. Thinking about it, I also think that it could be a matter of more light being reflected towards the lens in the center by the whiteness of the gull. The light came from the side and pretty low in the sky - and it was very intense at the same time (as evidenced by the 1/1000sec exposure at ISO320).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:29 am 
Cool.
Actually.... the vinjetting in that picture is very attractive, and fits very well.

I would say that even if you got that particular gull-picture without vinjetting, applying some would be the way to go.

So... cheap zoom or not, it has autmatic gull-vinjetting and it just made you a very nice picture :)