Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:30 am 
when I am out shooting birds I take along my friend.......

this was shot some time ago, as I am using my trusty D70s and a 25 year old 500mm mirror lens which I loved for its compact size, and still have both of these, looks as if I could have been using a mono due to low light levels...... I will have a look for some images from this lens, as they have been filed to DVD....... I need to put them on a hard drive anyway....... and that is paint on my cap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:55 am 
nothing like a good birds-eye-view :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:30 am 
Found the pixs, and at looking at the data I would say that I was using a mono pod......... these 3 images were opened in Adobe ACR CS3 some minor ajustment, reduced for web and posted with no sharpen..... as you can see this 500mm lens is very sharp but only if your subject is not moving and you have time to focus. All 3 images are full frame as the birds were very tame due to being fed every day

Nikon D70s 40th s ISO 250 f8 500mm mirror lens

Nikon D70s 80th s ISO 250 f8 500mm mirror lens

Nikon D70s 60th s ISO 250 f8 500mm mirror lens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:40 am 

Good one, Nick...made me laugh.......and I say, AHHHHHHHaaaaaaa! A red headed assistant...just as I thought.
What beautiful colors, BP. I like them all, and the last one is a bit of a comic leaning over just so's you could get his good side..the side with little dribs of seeds...What kind of birds are these? We sure don't have beautiful colors like that, on the birds around here...please find more in your back logs. I never get tired of them. All n' all, quite inspiring..
Something that size, with that sorta presence..I can see their personalities, all the way from here.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:52 am 
Patti........ thanks.... these birds can be quite common in some areas of Australia, although the birds are wild in the pixs, they come and eat out of your hand, this happens at most wildlife areas where it is allowed........

more info here...... http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/finder/ ... .cfm?id=99

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:54 am 
here is a comparison between unsharpened and sharpen of the same image for those that are interested.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:57 am 
I like the unsharpend better. It gives the bird a softer look.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:34 am 
Cool Hat there BP. I liked the two comparrison photo's it is nice to see them side by side and notice the differences. I like the unsharpened one for the gentle effect it gives the bird, on the otherhand the sharpened one zooms in on the beauty of the bird and fine detail of the feathers. So both are equally as good to me.

Bird shots just knock my sox off.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:51 pm 
Hehe, i like the bird on your hat :)
Thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:27 am 
hehehehe..I love that "Can I help you?" -look on that bird looking down at you!!

At first I wondered if that one on your cap was a prop to make th live ones look at you when you shoot them..lol..then I realized that it's just riding shotgun.

Lovely, lovely pics!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:27 am 

Did you selectively sharpen, Big Pix?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:09 am 
Thomas wrote:
Did you selectively sharpen, Big Pix?

not at all..... just overall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:45 pm 

So you're lucky, because mostly when I do (unselective) sharpening, the grain in this type of background becomes unbearable :(