Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blackbird
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 pm 

Nest in my shed last month. She occupied some of the wire mesh I intended to use - now delayed. I can't use that watering can either!

Blackbird nest by warth man, on Flickr

Earlier today - note she is much higher on the nest. She also knows I am here.

Blackbird nest 2 by warth man, on Flickr

And this was why she was sitting higher. At least three chicks, possibly more. All kept completely still while I was there.

Blackbird nest 3 by warth man, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: Blackbird
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:57 pm 

Excellent! Moreover, congratulations on your inadvertent provision of a premium nesting place. Thanks for posting these! :)

Canon 7D/5D/40D/1D2N; Nikon F6, D700, FM3A, & Coolpix A; Canon 40mm 2.8 STM, 135L, 50L, 35L, 50mm 1.8 I, 100mm 2.8L Macro, 10-22mm EF-S, 28-135 EF, 400mm 5.6L; Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AI-S, 50mm 1.4G, 50mm 1.8D, 16mm 2.8D Fisheye, 180mm 2.8D, 100-300mm 5.6 AI-S, 18mm 2.8D, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 SL II

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:50 pm 

Thanks RexGig. Not as exciting as most of the subjects here but fun anyway. My shed/log store are one structure, divided. They were built using "hit and miss" planking and there is a gap at the bottom. The log store section has an open doorway. The result is that both are used each year by something for nesting and, less amusingly, young rabbits scoot in there before I can bring the artillery to bear. Birds are taking a chance in that the neighbour's cat could also get in there if it chose but that hasn't been an issue yet.

For some years now the two sections have been used by both blackbirds and robins for nesting. There is always something I can't use for a while! Last year robins built their nest on top of a hanging broom head. Blackbirds were next door in the log store and I had to work around "their" section of logs. I should probably have taken more pics of the nesting spots.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 pm 

Really nice shots, Warthman. Birds are amazing in the way the find a spot to build their homes. This one seems quite comfortable on your fencing.

I was surprised though when the pictures came up as I had expected to see blackbirds like the ones common around here. Around here, "blackbirds" tend to be Red-wing Blackbirds, or any group of Starlings, Grackles, etc...They tend to be pests at the feeders scaring off the smaller songbirds, and often fly in larger groups. I saw one chasing a hawk away a few days ago. Although the hawk was much larger, the "blackbird" kept attacking and was able to chase the hawk from the area. I do tend to really enjoy the Red-wing Blackbirds. They are one of the first signs of spring (along with Robins) and they commonly sit on fenceposts at the sides of the roads. They have a pretty, distinctive song that I look forward to hearing every spring. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture right now. Thanks for posting your pictures!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:14 pm 

Hi XNavy. Yes, our blackbirds are different. In fact, only the males are black, but totally so, apart from a yellow bill. The females are brown, as are the young. That brood only left the nest a couple of days ago and the female has already laid five new eggs. I've given up on using the mesh this year. The magpies took at least one of the fledged youngsters from the last brood. It really is time for a cull on those birds.

Here's a pic of the second batch of eggs, a bit blurred because I was on tiptoe to get the shot.

Second batch by warth man, on Flickr

It would be nice to see a pic of your USA version.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:38 pm 

I will look for opportunities to take pictures of the blackbirds here, but my camera is not as nice as yours, and I don't have a nest in my garage. I am not sure if I will be able to get close enough to get a clear picture, but there-in lies the challenge, eh? I'll start looking, and will post when I can!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 pm 

Six chicks! So another egg was laid or one of them was a viable double-yolker. But I don't even know what happens there. All six beaks open wide when there is a noise inside the shed e.g. me coming in, but the chicks themselves remain silent. Either an instinctive silence in case of predators or they simply cannot vocalise yet.

Just as a reminder, this is the second brood.

Blackbird Chicks by warth man, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:58 pm 
really, it is a very beautiful photo that you have taken, the photos are quite attractive and cute, especially loved the baby chicks, it's quite fascinating really admire your work.

Last edited by Bjorn van Sinttruije on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed SPAM.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:19 pm 

Love these. What a great story in pictures :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:26 am 

Thank you Savlet. They get in somewhere every year.