Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 am 

Where and what would it be?

Mine would be the extreme high arctic photographing Beluga, narwhals, walrus, bowhead whales, polar bear and some of the large breeding colonies of birds found up there.

I'm hoping for this one to come true either in the summer of 2012 or 2013. Wanna head up there before our expedition in 2014 for sure.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 am 

mine is right next door to my town :(, Kopacki rit, Croatia, unesco nature reserve with (for what i hear more than 200 bird species) but if its land it has landmines and if its water, you need a boat, and that is allowed to scientists and possibly those with big big pockets..

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 pm 

I think I'd go for a truly wild encounter with big cats, of which I'd find it hard to narrow it down too far as to which, other than leopard family.

Originally I was thinking of doing the African safari thing, but that's not quite wild enough for a dream. Nature reserves are practically captivity, just with a much bigger enclosure and you'll still be rubbing shoulders with the masses of tourists.

Perhaps the Amazon region instead? Plenty of other stuff in there too. Or maybe hang around Madagascar for a bit. Not so many big cats there as far as I know, but again they're not short of really interesting wildlife.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:14 pm 

BIGFOOT.... :lol: :lol:

I'd like to live somewhere the climate was right for photographing and encountering many varied species on any given day.
I like snow/cold for shots just sometimes (LIKE NOW :evil: ) there is way too much and too overcast.

For now and here... is an Otter or Otter family group over an extended period of time.
Problem with that is they travel...alot, and boy can they make themselves scarce in a hurry!!
Fishers would be a close second and just about as elusive/evasive.
I think my Coyote pup/den encounter really sparked those two :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:00 pm 

Well for me it would be all sorts of Raptors and Birds of prey

Atm Im still looking for Owls and Eagles, which are quite hard to find here in Aberdeenshire.... Hopefully someday I'll go to East Highlands and North of Norway and Sweden (Kiruna).

I wish I could photograph as good as Brutus Östling or try to be better sometimes xD ^^

Im also dreaming of going to Antarctica to photograph Penguins and Polar bears.

atm I do have the right gear.. But I also travel a lot between Europe and Asia every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:49 pm 

Don.. no polar bears in the antarctic :wink: If you ever have the chance come to the prairies in Canada... lots of raptors out here.

Popo... ever think about tigers in India? Now there is a big cat in a wild environ :shock:

I hate the cold as well kpr.. no idea why I am spending more and more of my photography travel time in these areas. Guess its just the fact of how prestine these areas still are... hardly no humaninty at all and those that do live there live there as a part of it and not outside of it.

Another choice for me would be coastal wolves in BC... or any wolf... cant believe I forgot about them. Really hoping to find some this summer in northern SK.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:40 pm 

Quote:
Nature reserves are practically captivity

if you were referring to what i said about nature reserve, i think you misunderstood me, this place is free, with no fences and nothing, with little groups of tourists (15 at a time) during the summer period, i call it nature reserve because it is max protected from pollution of any kind, no hunting, fishing, and any kind of animal molesting, with loads of birds, deer, wild boars,.. really a dream, if i could only get my hands on a boating license to drive around there..

add me up on:

flickr:

deviant art:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:55 pm 
Wow, this is a tough one for me! I can't pin it down to one place. I guess if I had to make a choice it would be Alaska for Bears, Moose, Caribou, ext.

Wolf, I've encountered Wolves several times in the wild over the past 5-6 years. I wasn't into photography, and I wasn't looking for them (now that I am I'll probably never see them again.)

I'm thinking nature preserves are different in different places. The Bird refuges here, are very wild places. They are wetlands that are set aside by the government to make sure humans don't destroy the breeding and nesting areas. They sometimes build man made nesting areas, automobile access is limited and hunting is allowed during the season. So if you think your going to go there, pull up and get a Zoo like shot without the fences your wrong. It's natural habitat and the wildlife that's there is "wildlife" you have to use tact to get close enough for a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:20 pm 

I think what popo is referring to is wildlife preserves in Africa guys... we have had a bit of a discussion about them here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25683

it was also made somewhat more clear in the oasis show wildlife photographers. Africa is a unique place as many people still think of it as utterly wild when in fact the opposite is true. It has very few actual wild areas left which are accessable to tourists.... very few at all for that matter. Yet tourists still flock there for a wild experience when in fact it is anything but wild.

I guess the most stark example of the above would be the part in wildlife photographers where they were trying to cath two lions mating... their vehicle was within meters of the lions throughout several matings over several days and the lions did not take notice. Had these been truely wild lions you wold not have gotten within a hundred meters nevermind 10. And you see this time and again when on such safaris... wildlife has seen so much human traffic that they totally ignore it.... so the question becomes.. is this still a truely wild encounter?

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:56 pm 

bakica, Wolfsong described exactly what I was thinking. I still want to do that kinda of trip, but it wouldn't be a "dream" trip in the context of this thread.

I hadn't considered India specifically, since I don't really know enough about the region to start with. If it wasn't for the British obsession with curry I doubt I'll know anything at all!

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:06 pm 

bakica... bored at work so had the chance to look up the park right next door to you... Kopacki rit park. It look amazing. The fact that it is one of europe's largest natural wetlands alone makes it worth a visit... it does sound like they have well marked trails that you could follow without danger of mines and it also seems like they do several different guided tours of the park as well depending on your interests.

Anyways... it looks like an amazing plce. I hope some day you get the chance to explore it and its wildlife :)

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 pm 

wolf, all you say is nice, but in mainland Croatia guided tours mean 25 min ride around the lake or something similar, now for those trails you mentioned, i am not sure what exactly are you referring to but i recon that those are trails established by hunters in open piece of woodlands (not actually swamp area) with mostly deer to see, but it is not very advisable to go down those routes if you are not with a group of hunters since or if they really know who you are, cause you might get shot either by hunters thinking you are a illegal hunter or by illegal hunter thinking you are a hunter (that is at least the rumors), so i want a boat to drive around protected piece of park, and hoping to achieve that in future :) .

i believe that they would let experienced/proven photographer go with mosquito scientist into the park but i don't have that rep yet :(

add me up on:

flickr:

deviant art:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:33 am 

There are so many places I would love to travel to, but if I had to just pick one, it would be Antarctica. It would be a dream to go there to photograph the different species of penguins, seals, whales and seabirds.
Also the scenery there is just beautiful. All I have to do is win the lottery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 am 
I would also love to do a trip similar to the Great Bear one that Wolfsong did. sea-life, bears, and incredible scenery. I'll wait till I have to gear to make it worth it :-)

Speaking of gear, I've been trying to decide on a canon 100-400, 400 prime, or a Bigma-os. I just got a 2 week rental on the 100-400 so I hope to get out and give it a workout!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:40 am 

for me it doesn`t have to be a specific animal, I have done a fair bit of travelling around Australia and covered a lot of ground bush walking.
I get just as excited about a kookaburra or any little kingfisher capturing a fish or little lizard as a rainbow bee eater feeding on bees as a Whale. I have spotted a goanna mating and little skinks feeding on snails. Have not seen a big cat in the wild, but for me it has to be a natural act seen in the wild to be a "moment". I absolutely loved seeing the dugongs in West Australia while out on a catamaran and the turtles on the beach.
Its not just the shot of the subject, its what else it says. What I mean is that a shot of a lion resting and with a large aperture and the background nicely blurred is a nice shot, but imagine that as an action shot with the lion roaring to defend his territory in front of another lion, or a Wolf in natural stride accelerating to take down the prey, an Elephant charging, a crocodile taking a barramundi, Birds serenading, a frog catching a fly..... etc. A I want to see it all. :D

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic