Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:42 pm 
My image manipulation HW for the week is to restore this image to good conditions

as you can see fun. but this what i was able to come up with after 2 hours

i would love to get some CC also please tell me if you notice anything off so i can try and repair it the assignment is due Monday Jan 31 but i will take CC even after that just so i can learn more thanks in advance

* maybe we can make a thread for restoring images and do a friendly contest i would be more then happy to set it up btw =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:05 pm 

I'm at work so on a crappy monitor but from what I see it looks like a job well done.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:53 pm 

I have to agree with Wolfsong on that. Especially considering it's only a couple hours of work. The only thing that kind of seems odd is the edge of the ear towards the middle. It kind of looks like a round spot that's a little too dark in comparison to it's surroundings. I probably wouldn't have noticed if not ask to though.

Canon 50mm F/1.8
Canon 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6
'Cannon' 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:26 pm 
The harsh transition on the background above the dogs head and the lower right area where the fingerprint was are the most noticeable to me, especially the fingerprint. What software are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:27 pm 
Considering the condition of the original photo, I think you've done a great job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 pm 

Hi Kevin,

Just 30 minutes or so in PhotoShop so I could certainly have spent much more time. Here's what I came up with but do let me know immediately if I shouldn't have modified and displayed the image. If that's the case I'll remove this post and delete the image from my server.
I did a light overall sharpening and then made a feathered selection around each eye and did a more aggressive sharpening to give him/her a more alert look. I also did some more clone stamping in the area of the white body fur and then a added a mixture of motion and Gaussian blur as seemed appropriate. There's still a bit of a mottled look after all that in the white areas but that could have been dealt with if I had spent longer. Then a little de-speckling of the body fur and I also added some lens blur to the dog's left flank (right as you look at it) where there was an uncomfortably sharp edge. Finally I upped the contrast a little.

I'm absolutely no expert in these matters so I offer the result as an example of what can be done rather than what should be done. I also have to say that you did a cracking job in the two hours to get the rescue as far along as you did. 8)

Bob.

P.S. Looking at it again after some time away I think I should have used a little less sharpening around the face though I'm still happy with the eyes. :?

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:01 pm 
@bob awesome u can post it i dont care

@all
I have actually spent the time since i posted this thread to edit more however long that is and here is what i got

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:12 pm 
It's looking good - only suggestion I'd make is to clone / healing brush out the crease in the bottom centre as it's quite obvious and distracting. Other than that I think it's a solid restoration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:46 am 
@ brickdog you sure that a crease i mean i think it might be his fur if you look at the original??

what do all you guys think fix it or leave it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:37 pm 

i think it's a crease, fix it and see, seems unnatural for only that small piece of fur..

add me up on:

flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakica/

deviant art:
http://tbensic.deviantart.com/

----:>bakice ce vladati svjetom<:----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:57 pm 
ok here is with the crease/cowlick gone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:34 pm 

I think the crease you've just removed may have been an artefact but it might be an idea to do a spot of Google image searching as I think you'll find there is a ridge in the fur at the front which is not visible.

Of course the assignment may be more to do with accuracy than artistic impression in which case you can end up doing too much!

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:22 pm 
i have decided to to remove the crease/artifact/cowlick i think it is distracting