Just 30 minutes or so in PhotoShop so I could certainly have spent much more time. Here's what I came up with but do let me know immediately if I shouldn't have modified and displayed the image. If that's the case I'll remove this post and delete the image from my server.
I did a light overall sharpening and then made a feathered selection around each eye and did a more aggressive sharpening to give him/her a more alert look. I also did some more clone stamping in the area of the white body fur and then a added a mixture of motion and Gaussian blur as seemed appropriate. There's still a bit of a mottled look after all that in the white areas but that could have been dealt with if I had spent longer. Then a little de-speckling of the body fur and I also added some lens blur to the dog's left flank (right as you look at it) where there was an uncomfortably sharp edge. Finally I upped the contrast a little.
I'm absolutely no expert in these matters so I offer the result as an example of what can be done rather than what should be done. I also have to say that you did a cracking job in the two hours to get the rescue as far along as you did.
P.S. Looking at it again after some time away I think I should have used a little less sharpening around the face though I'm still happy with the eyes.