Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Just a question !
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:38 am 
Hi all,

I was wondering why newcomers, or even people starting out arn't made to feel that welcome.

I have noticed a few people have posted photos that could be improved, and no one responds.

Just wondering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 pm 

Newcomers are given a very warm welcome, especially if you look under the Rules and Feedback section of the forum where newcomers get a chance to introduce themselves. :)

One reason of not getting critique on photos is that not everyone has the time to look at every single thread in every single section, let alone comment on them.

There are still a lot of folks on these forums who give helpful critique whenever they can. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:59 pm 
I have only posted a few times but have gotten some good feedback, from members like kpr and wolfsong.
The main thing I think, (being new myself) is that we forget to give them enough to work with. Like letting them know what settings the camera was on when the photo was taken. AV, Shutter priority, manual etc...
Also the ISO, metereing setting (evaluative, partial, spot...). White balance settings and so on.
I realized after being told, that this makes a great difference in how they can advise us beginners based on their experience/knowledge.
It may also be the time of year, most here in the states are on or going on vacation.
It may be the time difference depending on what country you live in, I usually get some kind of feedback the following day.
So far everyone here has been very welcoming (including Gordon) and have offered some great advice.
Just my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:01 am 
I know I try to give a good welcome to new comers, like I was welcomed and that's why I keep coming back to camera labs. i agree and i second that with my Toronto neighbour,

Also it's summer many are out there shooting great shots to share it in here.

Don't worry, and welcome to camera labs (no sarcasm).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:49 am 

Hey ritchie...

The guys are correct.
It is summertime and the forums...most forums not just CL's, are quite slow this time of year.
Things will pick up and not to worry regulars will be visiting more often when things slow down for winter and we're all stuck indoors wishing we could get out.

Post subject: Thanks for responding
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:40 pm 
Hi

Thanks for your responses, Guys and Gals.

It can be quite difficult when I take photos, thinking its a great shot, to then get home and find its blurry or not very impressive.

The Bumble bee one I took, looked great on the camera, but wasnt amazing when I looked on the screen.

Thanks again ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:14 pm 
I had a look at your photo (bumble bee).
Sure your photo will look good on your camera, when you shoot insects you'll need patience and move for the best angle and light, use a tripod (just for vertical stabilization) I would guess you took the shot too close, that would explain the center being focused and not the rest.

Remember, when you shoot a bumble bee take your time,
AV mode (f/5.6) ISO level 100
tripod preferred
best time of the day morning (cuz you've got the dew on the flowers, and the sun light ain't too harsh) or a cloudy day is good also.

Now take your camera, and shoot a flower and post here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:23 pm 
Lowliferider,

Thanks for your feedback.
I took the photo with the Canon 450D, and I did use a Tripod.
I will try and use a tripod just for the ( Vertical stabilisation )

Todays a Lovely sunny day, I might try and get out when the lights better to take some more.

Thanks again.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:36 pm 
I don't give pointers normally, I'm still learning so much.
Today is my photo day, that I've been planing since friday.
So excited, canera is fully charged (with a 8 g compact flash card), camera flash and lens are in the bag )... best of all the weather is great, it rained all night so the air is particle clean and the trees will look very green. No wind...

looking forward to see your photos, I'm sure they will look great.

Regards from Canada