Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: wildlife and Lens Reach?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:02 pm 
G’day to all!

In Sri lanka, Yala national park same times I may take a photo of bird 75 feet away but seconds later there is leopard or a elephant working 10 feet a way. Most of the time you get wildlife from 6.00am to 9.00am and 3.00pm-6.30pm not so good lighting conditions

I am in the process of buying a canon eos 7D and a canon 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OR a sigma 150-500mm F5.-6.5 as I go on safari almost once a month. need the reach.

1. what lens do you think I should buy?.
2. 400mm - 500mm will this make a much of a difference in reach?
Currently I use a Panasonic lumix dmz fz30 has 12 times optical zoom 420mm equivalent is not enough

Thank you

Nalin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:07 pm 
Bearing in mind the crop factor with an APC-S sensor then the Canon lens will have an effective length of 500mm at the extended zoom focal length and the Sigma 750mm. If reach is all important then the Sigma is the way to go but check you will be satisfied with the image quality and maximum aperture fully extended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:14 pm 

Dave, I think your calculations are wrong. The 400 mm lens on the 7D becomes a 640 mm lens, and the Sigma 500 mm will become 800 mm (multiply by 1.6 crop factor). ;)

I've heard good things about both lenses, it's just whatever floats your boat. Also take weight into consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:42 pm 

I think that Dave forgot that Canon and Nikon's are different :wink:
Canon APS-C = 1.6 and Nikon APS-C = 1.5 (am i right?)

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:43 pm 

You are correct but 400 x 1.5 still does not make 500 ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:09 pm 

True! :)

Victor
Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:10 pm 

One other thing to keep in mind is a tripod or monopod.... I'm shakey as can be but dont have too many issues shooting with the 100-400 by hand... with the sigma I'm pretty sure I would be carrying a monopod around with me for stablization. I have borrowed a 500 prime with IS one time for giggles and found that without a monopod sharp pics were hit and miss at best.

the 100-400 is also a bit faster which may make a difference under less than ideal light conditions.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject: Thanks for replying
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 am 
With your comments I have made the decision to go a head with the canon, this would be my first DSLR with a proper lens. I have gone through most of the reviews on the internet and couldn’t decide between these two lenses. Because one has 400mm F/L and other has 500mm. Now its final I will buy a canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS because of the Picture quality /AF SPEED
Thanks again for replying
Nalin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:07 am 

Dont forget to post some pics when you return :)

My Flickr

Post subject: primes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:24 am 
Wolfsong wrote:
One other thing to keep in mind is a tripod or monopod.... I'm shakey as can be but dont have too many issues shooting with the 100-400 by hand... with the sigma I'm pretty sure I would be carrying a monopod around with me for stablization. I have borrowed a 500 prime with IS one time for giggles and found that without a monopod sharp pics were hit and miss at best.

the 100-400 is also a bit faster which may make a difference under less than ideal light conditions.

Was wondering with the 500mm prime lens if you get an animal such as elephant or any large game how can you get a photo when it’s too near? Asking this question because I never have used a prime. My entire old camera lenses are zooms. :D would love to get a canon 400mm f2.8!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:08 am 

Its a lot easier to move away from an animal if it is too close than it is to try and get closer if it is too far away :wink: ... unless of course it is chasing you :shock:

seriously though.. depending on terraine and the animal sometimes you cant get far enough away because there are too many things in the way at a greater distance or the animal just desides to come visit and you cant get far enough away.... I've had that problem several times with the 100-400 and whales... when they are in the mood they can be really curious and when they do deside to come close sometimes you find yourself taking a pic of the blowspout or a partial fin cause it is just too close. You also have to worry about atmosphere (fog, mist, rain, heat in dry areas)... on these days you want to be as close as you can be to cut down in its effects. I guess that is where a second body comes in when you just dont have the time to switch lenses or where you are in an eviron where you dont want to change lenses unless absolutely nessessary.

With wildlife though it is really about finding a happy comprimise unless you are able to carry a lot of large expensive gear. The size of a 600 prime alone is prohibitive if you are going on a hike of any kind or multi day outing. The 100-400, for me, is that happy medium and I rarely find the need to switch lenses or a better way to put it is that I can more often than not find a way to use the 100-400 effectively.

I'm getting a second body within a few weeks.. the goal is to have the 100-400 on one body (7D or another 50D... havent decided yet) and the 24-105 on the other (50D)... that should cover every situation possible... in my pocket I will carry the 100 macro just in case and swap it with the 24-105 the odd time I need it.... for bugs and flowers and such....

My Flickr

Post subject: Crystal Clear
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:55 am 
Wolfsong wrote:
Its a lot easier to move away from an animal if it is too close than it is to try and get closer if it is too far away :wink: ... unless of course it is chasing you :shock:

seriously though.. depending on terraine and the animal sometimes you cant get far enough away because there are too many things in the way at a greater distance or the animal just desides to come visit and you cant get far enough away.... I've had that problem several times with the 100-400 and whales... when they are in the mood they can be really curious and when they do deside to come close sometimes you find yourself taking a pic of the blowspout or a partial fin cause it is just too close. You also have to worry about atmosphere (fog, mist, rain, heat in dry areas)... on these days you want to be as close as you can be to cut down in its effects. I guess that is where a second body comes in when you just dont have the time to switch lenses or where you are in an eviron where you dont want to change lenses unless absolutely nessessary.

With wildlife though it is really about finding a happy comprimise unless you are able to carry a lot of large expensive gear. The size of a 600 prime alone is prohibitive if you are going on a hike of any kind or multi day outing. The 100-400, for me, is that happy medium and I rarely find the need to switch lenses or a better way to put it is that I can more often than not find a way to use the 100-400 effectively.

I'm getting a second body within a few weeks.. the goal is to have the 100-400 on one body (7D or another 50D... havent decided yet) and the 24-105 on the other (50D)... that should cover every situation possible... in my pocket I will carry the 100 macro just in case and swap it with the 24-105 the odd time I need it.... for bugs and flowers and such....

i think you put

Now it’s crystal clear!! I’ll buy a 100-400mm first and build a collection of cameras and lenses. Thanks for taking time to write! I will post my pictures soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:28 pm 

Don't forget the simpe lens to get you wider (for general photography). A cheap 18-55 should suffice and the gap between 55 and 100 isn't a big one :)

Post subject: Re: Crystal Clear
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:10 am 

nalinfernando wrote:
Now it’s crystal clear!! I’ll buy a 100-400mm first and build a collection of cameras and lenses. Thanks for taking time to write! I will post my pictures soon

That's basically exactly what I did... bought the 50D with the kit lens and the 100-400... then added the other 2 lenses... and now gonna add another body.

My Flickr

Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:00 pm 
thank you all for replying