Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:31 am 
I am not sure if an indoor Dingo is considered a pet or wildlife...but the results are the same. She won't stop moving long enough for a clear photo.

I am new to photography. I just got my first camera that is beyond a low end point and shoot...it is a Canon SX20 IS. I see I have a lot to learn, and hope to get a little help. I was having trouble with focus, so ended up setting the focus, and then waiting until she was the same distance again to take the picture. I used the shutter speed setting and set it to 1/50. I tried slower, but she was blurred on almost every one of them. The final results seem grainy with bland coloring. Is this because of the lack of light available? Or do I need to learn my controls better?

Naturally, all criticism will be used for better photos. I already acknowledge that the backgrounds are terrible here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:53 am 

you're gonna need a faster shutter speed. I'd say at least 200 for a twitchy dingo :)

if you are completely new to photography you may want to spend some time reading these forums and also look at gordon's tutorials for some basics.

Also... there is nothing wrong in shooting in program or auto mode til you get the hang of things.. pay attention to what the camera pics for settings and use those as guidelines under similar circumstances... after that.. prractice practice and practice soem more... and of course... ask a lot of questions.... ppl here are very friendly and more than willing to help you out :)

Personally I would leave this camera on auto focus and learn all the other settings. These cameras, from what I hear, are not the easiest things to focus manually. I had the SX3IS for several years and it was a great learning tool for me before I moved up to a DSLR... I never tried to use it in manual focus.

And of course.. welcome to camera labs :D

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:47 pm 

Precisely...you need faster shutter speeds than 1/50 to capture a moving dog/dingo. Whenever shooting moving action, you pretty much need to be thinking 1/250 or better, and the faster the better, so if you can go even more, do so.

What this usually means is having to open the aperture as wide as you can when in lower light situations...and also possibly raising the ISO even at the cost of some additional noise or grain in the shot. It's all a trade-off - unless you want to spend serious cash on a serious DSLR with serious high ISO ability and a seriously expensive super-fast lens...you have to accept either blur or noise...blur with lower noise because you couldn't get the shutter speed up fast enough, or noise because you needed to boost the ISO in order to get the fast shutter speeds.

Of course, flash adds another element - whether to use it or not. If you do, you can get away with lower ISOs and smaller apertures, but your camera may be limited in how fast a shutter it can pair with the flash - many P&S cameras can't synch flash at high speed. So often you are limited to too slow a shutter speed with flash, and may be better off going with natural light, no flash, higher ISO, and a little extra noise.

If you're not feeling too confident yet with the manual settings, or with setting aperture yourself for the right shutter speed, your camera probably has a scene mode designed to capture fast-moving subjects - it's usually called something like 'Sports' mode...look for an icon of a running man, or a fast-moving subject...it'll be that mode. This will usually tell the camera to keep the shutter speed at 1/250 or faster, adjusting the aperture and ISo as needed to achieve this.

And welcome!

Galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg