Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:28 pm 
Here we go

6...Shot a little too low on this one...Lost the tips of the wings :(

These are all cropped to I don't know what size...I'm using a 16-85mm lens so I'm not getting very close to these birds unfortunately. But for now, these will have to do until I get some money for a good far lens.

C+C is always welcome

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:32 pm 

Pete...

Pic # 7....
Myself in cropping that I would have had the gull just a smidgin to the right so it appeared more that it was flying INTO the frame.
The same could be done with 9 & 10.

#5 Great idea but again the placement of the sun, which I think in this shot might be the dominant feature, could be better,also the "half" birds...crop those right out..either all in or all out.

Overall on a day like that I may have dropped my exposure or ISO down just a bit to blue the blues (sky/water) a bit more.
Kinda like the top left side of pic #5,much richer blue IMO.
Worth a try anyway.

16-55mm?...well done :)

Now for pic #1.... :evil: ..heehee
What the heck is that old Gull doin in the way?!!! :shock:
Look at all those beautiful ducks just sittin there waitng to get photographed!!!.... :twisted:
We love ducks....oh the colours....give em a go! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:00 pm 

Hey Pete, Some nice shots there and could see some potential with a longer lense.

I agree with what kpr has said above with the cropping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:30 am 

hey pete.. cool shots.. agree with kpr about the ducks.... :twisted:

Not sure how much you cropped the pics above and not sure of your method for photography but for myself I always try to leave room for cropping, especially for fast moving shots. If something is sitting/stationary its pretty easy to frame it and photograph it just as you envision the final result but for fast shots I try not to zoom in as close as I could.. that leaves me room to crop it and place the subject where I want in the pic after-the-fact... for the most part anyways. This may be difficult at the start cause everyone wants to get as close as they can but in the end it doesnt leave you a lot of room for composition after. It also eliminates those 1/2 bird shots or the frustrations from watching a fox prowl in front of you and then it suddenly pouncing on prey and you snapping the pic and only catching the hind end of the fox... yes.. I've done this :oops: and I constantly remind myself not to zoom in tight on moving subject cause you never know what they will do next. Rather a shot with some backround than a shot of 1/2 an animal and again.. you can always crop out the unwanted areas.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:30 am 
Hey Wolfsong,

I completely agree with what you're saying...The only predicament I was running into at this point is these birds are pretty far away from me and when I'm completely zoomed in on my lens (85mm = 127.5mm on cropped frame sensor)...The birds in the images are pretty far away and it does leave me a lot of room to crop.

My only problem is I'm very new to editing pictures and stuff like that..I don't want to if I don't have to ya know...I'm waiting for better weather around my parts to give another go at this.

Hopefully it will be sometime soon.

Thank you for the advice, I will incorporate it in my next practice.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:14 am 

not the best time of the year to get into this.. I know :) .. that being said you'll be surprised how fast it comes together when the weather warms up a bit and you can get out more regularly.

looking forward to seeing more of your stuff :)

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr