Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My ball pythons
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:22 am 
I actually have 36 ball pythons lol...but I only had time to shoot two of them.

One is a Pastel ball python and the other is an Albino ball python.

This is the first time I tried shooting any of my snakes, basically what I did was I put a piece of white paper underneath them and pointed the flash right at them.

I know the shadows are harsh, but I tried all kinds of flash techniques, including a diffuser, bounce flash, and bounce with a diffuser in which all those seemed to have given me very dark results.

The ceiling is very low in that room and I also had 3 Fluorescent light fixtures for additional lighting.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated to get rid of the shadows.

Thanks

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:41 pm 
Nice Ball's :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:48 pm 

I'd suggest lowering the ceiling, but that's kinda tough I suppose. What you can do is hang a bedsheet above them, and illuminate that. The closer it is, the softer it will be. Check out my post about diffusers in the flash section if you want more info :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm 
Quote:
The closer it is, the softer it will be

By stating that, are you saying that the picture will be under exposed because the light is going to be soft when I'm close to the bed sheet as the background? Or by soft do you mean, there will be a less of a shadow on the subject?

PS: I did not use the diffuser for these shots above. My SB600 was pointed directly at the subjects.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:50 pm 

Please read my diffuser topic, it explains a lot about eliminating shadows and soft light. I use the term "soft light" to say there are no (harsh) shadows in the picture. So, by using the sheet as a light source, and placing it close, you can eliminate shadows :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:02 pm 
I did read it buddy...I was just asking for clarification...I'm not very good with lighting and setting up stuff like that so I wanted to make sure I got my facts straight before attempting to setup something incorrectly.

But I understand now, so I'll try immediately and post some results in a few.

Thank you again

Cheera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:46 pm 
Ok, I've put up a piece of white background and tried bouncing the flash off of it and still came up with shadows and a very dark snake..

I tried boost the EV by 1.3 and I pointed the flash directly at the snake.

Luckily, he was in a position where he didn't cast much of a shadow...If any at all, but still....Those pictures just don't seem to be coming out right.

I'm thinking that I need more lighting still.

But here is the result of my most recent shot, cropped a bit and boosted a little contrast.