Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:44 pm 
Hi, i just bought a Nikon D90, and still learning it, i took this photo today of this bird, i dont think the photo looks all that great, so i tried to do a little touch up work on it, here is the original and what i did to it in photoshop,
the thing is i really dont want to, have to use photoshop on all my photos that i take, so it would be great if some of you guys could help me out with getting my settings right for photos like this bird but looking the best that it can be on the first shot.

Original

Edited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:51 pm 

Congrats on your D90, you'll love it.
If Im being honest I think your edited image is a little over exposed fo my liking.

I don't think anyone can tell you what setting to use, you will always have to make adjustments for diferent situations, wheather it be sunny, cloudy, overcast, and so forth. Just try different setting to see what works best for you.

As for post proccesing, I think every image needs a little tweek of somekind, Just pp the photos you want to keep, No need to pp all your photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:34 am 
Ok Thanks for your Expertise :) i will try to work on my settings more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:06 am 

I agree with rui... one thing I would mention is that I for one prefer the natural shot over a lot of pp.. yes sometimes maybe a bit of darkening or lighting.. maybe some sharpening and some noise reduction... that's it for me though for the most part... if it was a gloomy day I want the pic to be gloomy.. if it was really early I want the pic to be darker than what some might like.. I want the pic to reflect the instant I took it.

Winter and early spring pics up here tend to show little colour and seem very monotone.. many tell me to make em pop a bit by playing with temp or tint. I usually dont cause that isnt how it was at the time.

Water is another biggie for me as in many instances it can set the mood of the pic and give the pic the character of the moment... water isnt always blue or has tinges of blue.. sometimes its green .. sometimes really murky.... if the sun isnt out water is rarely blue and as such tells a story of what the day was like.. likewise.. on sunny days the blue can just pop and really tell the story of that day and the brightness of it. I like the water to look as it appeared that day as it is a big part of the story of the moment for me.

My biggest pet peeve with wildlife pics is capturing man-made objects in the pic like roads or signs.. quite a few reasons for this but the 2 main ones are I persoanlly prefer the pic to look as wild as possible and also that road signs or other manmade objects often times give up the location of where you took the pic... up here for me that is a big deal as most people up here hunt.

As your 2 pics appear on my screen I honestly prefer your first pic.. the one with no pp.... subtle details in bird can be seen and seem to be lost in the post pp and I really like the water better in the first pic as well as it seems more natural to me..

in the end though the only thing that really matters is what you like :)

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:53 am 

I'd guess some kind of Egret,
Pretty sure Zack could tell you.

Natural as often as you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:35 pm 

I would have guessed at an Egret or Heron
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heron

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 am 
Oh ok there are alot of those birds by my home. and some other ones that are really big as well with long necks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:00 am 

It does look like a young great egret...hard to tell for sure. Don't think it's a snowy egret, and certainly not an ibis. We don't have white herons down here...so egret's the best bet.

I agree with the others - don't go for too much PP on bird shots like this - natural is often better. If you did want to touch up the brightness of the water or surroundings, maybe try doing so in layers, so you can keep the white highlights on the bird toned down to preserve the feather detail, which you've got fairly good in the first shot, but lost in the second.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:50 am 
Interesting bird, the bluish bill makes it look like an immature Little Blue Heron but I’m not sure the long plumes would fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:11 am 

Zenoe...you've stumped the pros and locals!!!
We need some closer shots..... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm 

OK...with a little research, I'm thinking it is a reddish egret, in white form. Reddish egrets can be dark or white...when white, they have a dark, two-toned bill, and greyish legs, unlike the great egret with the yellow bill and legs. Looked up a few reddish egret photos, and found some white ones that look much like this one!