Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:14 pm 

OK.... it's been mentioned several times and ppl talk about it here and there so I figured I'd post this as I just got my reply from the supplier and it seems spots are going fast.

I have booked with these guys before and they are amazing... young and enthusiastic and without a doubt the most knowledgeable group of ppl on the island imo. The new owners all grew up there and their knowledge is amazing. Heron is also an amazing photographer and nature nut.

I have tentatively booked my spot for the whale photgraphy tour and will confirm it when I get home. What I am really excited about is picking the pro's, as well as heron's, brains in regards to wildlife photography.

I will more than likely also be going back in the summer for their 4 day zodiac tour (its listed on the site and an itineratry is given) which I have taken in the past and it was amazing. Learning about the haida culture and seeing the last remaining standing totem and mortuary poles is an amazing site as are the ppl you meet along the way. The night at rose harbour is and experience unto itself. If I take the summer tour I will be driving out from saskatoon to Prince Rupert and taking the car across to the island on the ferry. On the way back I will be spending an extra day in Prince Rupert to take a float plane to the grizzley bear sanctuary for some grizzley photography and then driving back to saskatoon from there maybe in a roundabout way taking the glacier highway between Jasper and Banff.

Anyways... I'm 100% sure about the 5 day whale photo trip and 90% sure about the early summer trip (late June early July)

I'll be flying there for the whale trip.

Just posting this in case anyone is looking for a photo outing in nature in a world heritage site that really is special. If 1 or 2 ppl want to go on the early summer trip they would be more than welcome to join me for the drive through the prairies and rockies from saskatoon and on the grizzley trip.

Even if the times dont work for you this trip is one that anyone into this type of outing would be extremely happy with and I am happily vouching for the ppl at Moresby Outfitters.

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.moresbyexplorers.com/whalePh ... Trip.rhtml

I'm guessing the 5 day whale photography trip will be limited to 7 or 8 ppl plus the guide (sounds like it will be Heron) and pro photographer

I'll also add Herons reply to my email just so everyone understands what the whale trip is all about.... he puts it pretty plainly.... 5 days in a zodiac taking pics of whales... I'm interpreting his words to mean a "serious photography outing" which excites the heck out of me.

Hello Mike,

Nice to hear from you again. I think the 5 day whale trip will run, if you book we need only one more to confirm the trip. There is no single supplement fee - we have upgraded the float camp and now have 8 guest bedrooms! I want to make sure you are aware that the whale photography trip is very focused on the photography. We will be spending most of every day sitting in the boat taking photos and will not be doing much exploring/touring.

The only other option than Air Canada is the West Coast Resorts charter.
They operate Sundays and Wednesdays from the south terminal in Vancouver and the charter is flown by Air North's 737. Call them at
1.800.810.8933 and tell them Moresby Explorers sent you (that way they shouldn't make you take their hotel package).

The weather in May can be a little cooler than the weather in June and since we will be spending most of the day sitting in the boat I would suggest taking a few extra warm clothes.

We will likely be seeing the sea lions as well - they are usually everywhere in May. I will probably be guiding the trip.

Thanks,

Heron

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:53 am 

Wow, I would love to go, the time of year isn't an issue for me but the funds $$$ are. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:50 am 

Family and other things must always come first Rui :)

have had a few pms and emails on this and will expand a bit on the early summer trip I will probably take...

the idea is to drive from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to Prince Rupert... I have done this before in 2 days but it makes for a long 2 days. That being said I plan on doing it in 2 days again. Its about a 5 hour drive to Edmonton and another 3 to 3.5 hrs to the foothills of the rockies so 8 to 9 hours of prairie before you hit the rockies... after that it is through Jasper and on to Prince George. If I remember right I got there at about 8 at night starting in Saskatoon at about 7am. The next day is a bit shorter and you get to Prince Rupert at about 6 or so at night. I dont plan on making extended meal stops but do plan on stopping for every wildlife encounter and scenic nature encounter for shots. There are multiple cool waterfalls on day 2 of the drive including one area where you can get 6 falls in one shot if the runoff is still happening.

Day 3 would be taking the ferry over to Haida Gwaii. Depending on what one wants to do one could spend day 4 touring some of the northern island or time it so that day 4 starts with the Moresby tour.

Next 4 days are touring in the zodiac. After the tour the next day would be spent getting back to the main land.

Next day would be spent with Grizzlies... here is the link to the tour I did the last time.. short and sweet but the guide in the zodiac is a professor studying the bears so even though it is only 2 hours with the bears it is very informative and a lot of fun.. the float plane is a blast as well.

http://www.palmerville.bc.ca/3hour_tour.html

There are other day long options for the grizzlies which include a boat ride instead of the flight to the sanctuary which I have never taken. I have heard that chances are good for whale encounters as well as other marine wildlife on the way to the sanctuary but the boats are larger and ride deeper than zodiacs so when you get to the sanctuary you cant get as close as someone in a zodiac can... that being said I'm always open to trying the boat trip to get there if others are inclined to do it.

After that it is a drive home which depending on the route can take 2 to 3 days... 3 days if you add in the drive along the glacier highway and some hikes along the way including a stop at the Athebaska Glacier as well as a short hike to a very amazing lake... cant remember the name of it but I do remember it well. It has several areas where silt washes into it and as such surface patterns are amazing and constantly changing every minute.

Soooo grand total for that trip will be between 11 to 13 days depending on what was agreed on by the group. Add in a day for anyone out of town to fly in to Saskatoon and a day to get home from here and there you have it.. You could of course also just fly to Haida Gwaii and meet up there.

That being said I plan on doing this trip by myself either way so if anyone does want to come along I would not expect anyone to chip in for gas as I will be paying for it anyways if you dont come...

I also have a lot of local connections and for your nights in Saskatoon hotels would be free.

I have no problems sharing rooms along the way as long as you dont snore :)

I drive a smaller car so myself and 2 others I think would be the limit as once you add gear and luggage I think it will be a tight fit for 3 ppl for a trip that long but hopefully not too tight.

Also.. in the past when I have done this trip I tended to rush a bit cause I was the only driver. If someone can drive a standard things can slow down a bit and more time spent taking pics along the way as we can drive longer... I usually start at 6 am or so and plan on being at the next stop at the latest at 7 or 8pm... with extra ppl who dont mind long days on the road sunlight up here at that time of year is from about 4:30am to 10:30pm on the prairies... mountain areas will of course change these times a bit.

Anyway.. thare you have it for those who have asked....

my hiking for the next 3 days is going to take me through gorge areas so sat hookups will be very short. I've told others they can have my time for those days as they have family to keep in touch with. If anyone does have any farther questions it will more than likely be 3 or 4 days before I get back to them :) Feel free to PM me though..

If/when others are serious about this we can get together on some conference calls to hammer out the details including exact dates... I can go at basically any time... in regards to conference calls... no worries here again... I can set them up free of charge no matter where you live in the world.

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:35 am 

you are the best, wolfie. I wish I could go. Am in the next boat over from Rui..only he has oars IN the water... I am just floating around..lol
Sounds like a dream trip..if I win the lotto Rui, we are going..

love,
p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:25 am 

patti wrote:
you are the best, wolfie. I wish I could go. Am in the next boat over from Rui..only he has oars IN the water... I am just floating around..lol
Sounds like a dream trip..if I win the lotto Rui, we are going..

Same here Patti, just bought some lotto tickets yesterday.
If I win no doubt I will take you and some others as well.

Wow Ws, I get myself all wet from drooling at those pics from those links.
You got me itching to go.