Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 am 
Yes Kpr it was a bit on the cool side but the sun is starting to do its work. More snow today but by the sounds of things it and a little more will be gone tomorrow. Can’t happen fast enough for the deer herd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:28 am 

another one from a while back taken with the S3IS .... Haida Gwaii baby seal...

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:15 pm 

Got my first Mink this morning, I got to excited and didn't get a full body shot, but any way..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:23 am 

Nice grab RUI,awesome colors!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:24 am 

Wolfsong...

Looks like alot of tide there??
Were you very far north or between the island/mainland?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:40 am 

Haida Gwaii kpr very small spot of land bout 1km off the island which was about another 2 km off the main southern island... yup.. massive tide.

Funny you mention it... I know a tour operator there ... the owner is a photography nut as well and someone from there just got in touch with me in regards to a special photography tour.. 4 days or so in a Zodiac... next summer... sounds really cool and gonna take a real serious look at it...

His is the only outfitter who has access to several overnight spots on the southern tip of the southern island... he has a floating lodge just inside the park boundries which makes for a good first day stop and his mom still owns a home where she stays year round living in an extremely green manner... the exact location is called Rose Harbour and is within 30 minutes of a small island which has the best preserved originally standing totem poles in the world... amazing location... yes.. his mom and a few others were hippies from the 60s who squatted there and later formed a group who bought the land where an old factory was located.. today there has been a fallling out and only his mom and one other remain and they operate a small lodge there right smack in the middle of what is now a world heritage site... Truely an amazing story...

Anyways.. with the floating lodge at one location and his mom's place at the extreme south boundry of the park he is in a unique position to offer complete access to the park and best of all he is not in it for the money but rather to educate people on how important prestine sites like this are... his is also a firm believer in givin access to everyone and not just the rich so his prices are as cheap as they get in my opinion...

When I kayaked it I always thought it would be so cool to do it in a zodiac as you are able to access so much more area and able to take on somewhat more extreme weather. This might just be my chance :P

Damn... rambling on again.. yes.. extremely large tides :)

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:30 am 

Doesn't sound like a trip I would pass up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:53 am 

kpr wrote:
Doesn't sound like a trip I would pass up.

agreed.... need to find a few more to go along to get it to fly but that's not an issue as it is fully funded... only thing I need to do is get there... last time there a set of my pics got picked up by a small hotel in Prince Rupert... they are helping sponser this outing as they want more pics to frame and use in their property.

Just need to make the time.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:19 pm 

Needed to get these on to Flickr asap to help with ID for some reserchers in Newfoundland... although they think they have these 3 whales ID they dont think they have the scars in their registery on any of these 3 whales... although I dont know which specifically had the scars it definately helps narrow the field in thier minds... kinda excited about the fact I may have helped with an ID.

The first three pics are of the different whale tails (humpbacks all have unique designs on their tails which act like finger prints) and the last two pics are of the scars... they were caused by a ship prop and are deep but old. One researcher commented that he was surprised the whale survived.

Managed to get right to the edge of a bubble net feeding stream of bubbles... kinda freaky being at the edge and knowing there is a whale directly below blowing them :shock: The second pic illustrates well the wall of bubble coming up which herd the kaplin into a tight ball which then makes it easy for the whales to feed.

The fin of a baby humpback right beside me just under the surface... got a cool sequence of this .. the second pic shows it just as it broke the surface and the water just starting to blow out the blowhole... a lucky cool shot as there is no spray yet but the water is just starting to come out, one in a million in my opinion cuase at this point it reaches a speed of 200 mph in a split second.... at this point it was close enough to touch...

and just a cool tail shot...

And a head/underwater fin shot.. surprisingly hard to get as they rarely come up like this...

I've got the entire encounter uploaded on my flickr account for those wanting to see more from this encounter... there were several others but this was the first... included in this encounter are pics of spyhopping, finning and a few cool sequences of tail dives and the baby cruising beside me... it was a rainy day as can be seen but tey still turned out OK imho. 70 pics in all of this encounter with the magority being sequences.

My Flickr

Last edited by Wolfsong on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:18 pm 

Great shots wolfsong!!
My fav is the tail/spout one with the coastline in background.

Sent u mail in Flickr :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:13 pm 

whooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooo!

Wolfie...
living the dream...

Am enchanted by these, visualizing being out there...thinking that this is the opportunity of a lifetime..am loving the three new ID tails.
way to go!!!! well done.

love,

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:41 pm 

thanks guys :)
just finished second encounter pics...

more of the same but with a few unique ones ... 2 of which are posted below... tail and arched back shots... and another tail with water flow... rest are uploaded to flickr for those interested... it was a bit calmer later that day on this encounter. Mom and calf were still around but 3 new whales as well... was so busy watching the whales for about 1 hour nonstop on this encounter that I almost kissed a piece of an iceburg :shock:

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:24 pm 
very nice pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:38 am 

Couple from this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:45 am 

vey cool kpr.. ya know... I never seen one seal while I was there except for a brief head bob here and there...

My Flickr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next