Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:37 pm 
Nostrum wrote:
kpr wrote:

I particularly like this one :)

"I'm busy. make it quick boy!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 am 
Great photos! :D

I wonder whose eyes those are in photo #5...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:05 am 

Some of the differant bears visiting that site last fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:11 pm 
nice pics KPR

Last edited by BearDancing on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:28 pm 
:( I felt terrible..

I did not kill any big animals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 pm 
They are harmless as long as you give them the respect they deserve.[/quote]

I would rather walk with my 7mm than a big stick/ of pepper spray :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm 
How big are those?? In Brazil we don't have any kind of bear, so I have no idea. :oops:

If one attacks... can you just kick them out like a dog or are you dead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:18 pm 
KPR-man i gotta get down your way sometime,i had a chance to get a weekly run down your way but i turned it down because of the winter driving down there ,but think i will do it for the good weather, always enjoy looking at your photos ,there great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:59 pm 

Alex,

The one above with it's paw on the full sized barrel (first pic last post) I estimated to be a fair bit over 400lbs.
The mothers with cubs are probably 250lbs or better.
The biggest one in NS is reported at 600lbs :D

First defence of any bear is to ESCAPE
Second would be what is called "bluff charges"..not something I would NOT wish to experience because it means that you have done something very wrong and are stressing the bear and it has no other option (escape)
They run full bore twds you and veer off at the last second making vocalizations the whole time.
Third option is a mauling and something YOU have done has caused it or you have inadvertantly surprised both you and the bear.
It won't last long, it's gonna hurt alot and no doubt you will not be waterproof afterwards.
You will "probably" survive and no you wouldn't be able to kick them off like a dog.
They are VERY powerful/extremely agile fast critters even though they don't appear to be.

The recommended course of action for you during a mauling by black bears is to fight for your life.
They are NOT known for predating humans however they can and do take down young moose and deer...they are very capable but mostly they feed on plants/crops/fruit/grasses, there have been attacks on humans however it is not the norm and usually a sick or injured bear and a stupid human.

The one thing I tell everyone that knows me (and think I'm nuts...lol) & I will post it here "for the record"
If I wind up hurt by any of the bears I approach, it was MY FAULT for interacting with the bear.

All that said.....and it was alot :lol:
The bears will be back anyday soon,we just need to warm up a bit.
Stay tuned for new posts...woot woot!!!

Thank you daryl...c'mon down...weather is getting better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:26 am 
OH MY GOSH :shock: :shock: :shock:
250 to 600 lbs???
Ok... first thing: you're crazy going out there with that kind of critter!! :P

I'd shoot those only if I had an 1200mm AND an 2x Tele. I myself weight 140 lbs! No way I'd fight an bear that's at least twice my weight :P

Lucky me... the biggest thing I find on my way here are the capivaras (80 lbs rodent) and they'll run if they see you first

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:32 am 

No way I'll be fightin any bears either Alex!!!

I THINK though if you felt the rush of being in their presence...you'd like it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:40 pm 
Yes I bait bears...just to watch....It is an incredible RUSH...had an old Toyota truck with a big armchair in back...*it is a little dead right now needs a new clutch* I bring my gun....can get about 50 yards from them.....am tooo chicken without my 7mm Remington.....I NEED A CAMERA....When I was shooting big game I got a beautiful cinnamon bear 1km away from the house.....our two dogs came home all beat up....so my dad set out a bait barrell.....I got the bear he was HUGE 8.5' square....he had a part healed scratch on his nose might have been from one of our dogs...they are lucky they were not killed...ya horrid quality pic....but this is him on my wall :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:07 am 

One from a while ago to keep us going till new pics come in :) ... a couple of 2 year old grizzlies eating grasses... taken about a month before the salmon run started.

taken with a S3IS

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:17 am 

Wolfsong wrote:
keep us going till new pics come in :) ...

Teasin me aren't ya wolf?
I left home this morning, it had snowed all night,must be close to 8" on the ground....
Now can you imagine me in a cornfield covered in snow, suns out, and a nice balckie at about 50yds munching peacefully on corn this evening?

Workin for a living really sucks some times :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:31 pm 
R0Y.1 wrote:
OK. You know the rules. You know Steve Irwin? I believe he had a lot more experience in these matters than most of us. He too had a plan - always. But what we do know for sure today, is that experience can never be a shield. There are things which are beyond anybody's control (I'm not talking about supernatural things). There are poachers who can injure an animal to make it behave unnaturally, for example. It can get injured by accident. It can have a fight with a "competitor". You just wouldn't know. All I'm saying is that do not EVER go within 100 yards. Get more zoom if required. 40 yards within a bear like that is nothing but suicidal. Get a starter pistol at least. It just has to make a big B A N G!

Please don't remind me of Steve Irwin - you're making me tear up.

By the way, this is the American black bear (Ursus americanus). It is quite a docile animal, and rarely are charges any more than bluffs. Of course, Steve Irwin met his demise at the barb of a docile animal as well (the stingray), so I'll shut up.

Last edited by edovie on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next