Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:35 am 

Last summer again.. a muley on its bed... it was a rainy, foggy morning. Mule deer tend to be a bit more docile then white tails so you can get a bit closer. They tend to be larger and a bit more robust than white tails. The antlers as well are thicker. The long grass made it pretty easy to belly up to this guy on a morning like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:46 am 
Wolfsong the scene with the Elk is an absolute classic for sure, thanks for sharing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:48 am 

K Lantz wrote:
Wolfsong the scene with the Elk is an absolute classic for sure, thanks for sharing it.

thank you K Lantz :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:59 am 

OK.. here is one I'm actually kind of embarrassed about posting because of the quality of the pic but what the heck... its a deer and it's the only one I managed to take which even came near to being usable.

This is a Sitka Deer on Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) photographed last summer. These are small and very skittish deer. This guy was easily only half the size of a male white tail around the same age. They were introduced to the island for food for early European settlers and soon became a pest. These days they are overwhelming the islands being able to swim many kilometers to the smaller islands in the area and seriously effecting other native animals. Several efforts have been made to eliminate them to restore the natural balance but with no success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:35 am 
Cool facts on the Sitka, I never realized they were introduced.
Here is a White-tail from yesterday. I see quite a few late winter deer with colouration as on the side of this one. Deer spend a lot of time bedded on frozen ground, ice and snow in this area. Their hair is coarse, hollow and somewhat brittle. I believe this is often caused by wear and tear. The browner hair tips are getting worn an broken revealing the whiter bases. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:26 am 

Wolfsong, very nice pics. Love the elk with the mountains in the back.
Unfortunately we dont have elk here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:44 am 

Rui Costa wrote:
Wolfsong, very nice pics. Love the elk with the mountains in the back.
Unfortunately we dont have elk here.

I have to drive about 8 hours to see them Rui but it's always worth it. I try and make at least 3 trips a year that way (Jasper/Banff areas). One of these days I need to make it in the winter but I really hate the cold :oops: Supposedly we have several wild herds here in Saskatchewan but I have never come across them in my travels.

Cool info K Lantz.... last year when I was in the Yukon one of the guides and I started talking about deer when we encountered one. Seems like they havent been up there for long and people are worried they might push out some of the local grazers and in time maybe even affect the caribou herds. There are 2 trains of thought.. one is that they are moving north due to global warming and the other one is that when the Alaska Highway was completed it created a natural unbroken corridor for the deer to travel to get up there relatively easily. I believe both to be true.... the highway made it easy for them to get there and global warming is making it easier for them to gain a strong foothold and survive the winters... especially in the Whitehorse to Dawson City region and to the coast in Alaska.

We need to keep in mind that deer (white tail) were not even common to the western states and provinces before the bison were all but eliminated and the prong horn numbers were drastically reduced. This created an opening for more deer to move west and fill in the void left behind. They really are an amazingly adaptive and aggressive species.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:53 am 

Wolfsong...Woodland caribou in NFLD. :D
Bit smaller than regular caribou I have seen further north but...they are there for the "pic" taking :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:25 am 

kpr wrote:
Wolfsong...Woodland caribou in NFLD. :D
Bit smaller than regular caribou I have seen further north but...they are there for the "pic" taking :wink:

cant wait!!! although I wont be spending much time inland hopefully I'll trip over a few :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:45 am 

Not much snow in this spot.
Kpr's practicing his sneakin'...been a while :wink:
Pretty overcast by the time I got here today :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:59 am 

sneeking is always fun :)

nothing like seeing the results of a day in nature and catching wildlife in its natural state... cant beat it!

Just think.. soon it will be summer and you can go "sneeking" in marshes and swamps with the black flies and skeeters 8) ... I know I cant wait :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:18 pm 

Ohhh don't forget the ticks too...just maybe I can wait for them now that you mention it...lol-j/k :wink:

Kinda windy/chilly here today but not even close to guys out there.
Put some wood in the stove eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:22 pm 

Kpr, Very nice

Black flies and skeeters and ticks.. OH MY! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:48 am 

Rui Costa wrote:
Kpr, Very nice

Black flies and skeeters and ticks.. OH MY! :)

LMAO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:37 am 

I'm a regular donor in the summer :roll:

You guys don't have ticks?
I've only ever had two actually latch on but picked plenty off?
I hate em!!! :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next